Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to acquire a tenor for a small pep band in florida, of which I'm president. I've been given about $200 and a Noblet bari in need of a little love before it's playable again as my budget.
I'm a fan of vintage horns (just look at the signature), but given my scant budget I'm not sure that's the best avenue. So I was wondering what y'all would suggest, what to get, where to get it, whether it would be better to keep the bari and hope for a trade or consign it to some sort of auction, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Well, for $400, here's what I've been able to come across for Tenors:

French Vito Model 38 (usually sells for $600 - $1200, but can be had for $400 on rare occasions)

Kenosha Vito Model 37 and Americana series (usually from $500 - $800, but can be had for less many times)

Japan (Yamaha) Vito (usually from $300 - $700)

Those are "modern" type used and vintage examples (the Kenosha Vitos are more Buescher-like than Selmer-like, where the French Vitos are very much like a Selmer Balanced Action. The Yamaha Vito speaks for itself :) ).

In the vintage segment look for these brands (from 1925-1940):

Beaufort American
Pan American
Harwood Professional
Holton
King "New Series" (aka "Improved")
King Voll-True (and Voll-True II)

And many other stencils and less sought after brands or periods within a brand. Just ask here, if you're unsure of the pedigree of the stencil in question. Some are pro saxes with a different name, others are very much cheapened down "Band Instruments".

I assume you can sell the Bari, to add to the $200 to get the Tenor. This would leave you with a worst case budget of $800 in which case, it would open the door to many pro saxes of the 60s to the 80s. Brands like:

H. Couf Superba II
King Zephyr (Eastlake)
Buescher True Tone
Conn 10M (some years)
Martin (some years)
Buescher Aristocrat (pre-war, in rough shape, but playable)
Dolnet
Yamaha 52 (in rough shape, but playable)

·
2,597 Posts
Check w/JayeSF on here. He tends to have good value ready-to-play vintage saxes. His website is www.2ndending.com, but he usually has many more horns in the works than appear on the site.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll check with him after I know what I'm gonna get for the bari (fridayish), and thanks for the list of horns that are probably in my price range, some of those I've looked into and were already on my list but it's always nice to expand the range a little.

·
6,831 Posts
Ignore the True Tone and the year reference. I was thinking 2 things at once :) Price range still stands though, as they usually pull more $$ than the plentiful Altos :) . Also the Aristocrat (pre-war) is pre-1040, so that should be self-explanatory in its exception :) .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts