Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allo guys,,I was wondering what suggestions would you recommend to try,,I have been on this Ponzol IIVI S 110 that I truely love on my tenor Serie III.Though I have owned in the past ,RPC Rollover,Lebayle Jazz,Morgan L and EL,STM Links, one HR Link,2 Jody HR,HR Vintage Barone,but never returned to HR tenor mpc since that Ponzol result and feel! I would like to get another good mpc as a back up mpc,but also If I can find a darker mpc in HR then my Ponzol,but with free blowing,I really don't like a mpc with resistance!What would you recommend to buy?Would be interested in a 8,or 110.
Thanks,
All the best,
Saxobari.

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saxcape is on my mind for now!Mike,,you are playing on one,,how would you describe the one you have??
I have been thinking of those for a while,,I probably will get a try of those,specialy the dark,or extra dark might be a better choice for me!
If any of you have one that wants to depart,,let me know!
Thanks,,,anymore suggestions!
All the best,Saxobari

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've been playing on a Saxscape Uptown Dark and really enjoy it, though while being dark, it's also got a good amount of core and a slight edge, especially in the palm keys and altissimo. I at first was surprised in that I found it brighter than my STM, however after time, I feel like my sound on it has definitely gotten darker, but for what you're looking for, the Xtra Dark is probably the way to go. One other mouthpiece to consider is a Zagar Cool School, a super dark piece with a Getz-like vibe going, although they aren't hard rubber, I think they're certainly half-way decent though many people seem to dislike them.

·
1,877 Posts
Yes, I use an Extra Dark Saxscape now and love it. All I know is I go after a tone that is similar to Sonny Rollins and Joe Henderson( just wish I had some chops to go with it).:) This mpc gets me there. Overall range is great ,there are no strong /weak areas . Great intonation on my horn (Chu Berry). I agee with AmSaxPlayer that palm keys and altissimo are full and big along with the rest of the range. I don't find it resistant compared to my Brillhart I used a long time. That was much more resistant . This mpc isn't tiring to play at all.

The response /articulation is one of the really nice things about the mpc as well. I had a NY Link at one time and this mpc actually reminds of it a little but I was never really a fan of metal. I didn't stay on that mpc that long but I always thought that was one of the deeper sounding mpcs I had.

The Saxscape has a very broad range of the tonal spectrum even though it is a so called dark mpc. Just contact Ken Barry and he will give input as he did for me and I'm very pleased with the mpc.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I have an old Selmer soloist short shank piece that I had Brian Powell open up to a .105. I would say that this is a great dark piece. Plays effortlessly but has a big dark sound to it. It has a focus and core to it that a link type piece usually doesn't. I think it's because of the smaller horseshoe chamber. You can check out a sound clip on my website to see what it sounds like. I've been wanting to try a saxscape piece for awhile. The thing that confuses me with his pieces is that when I go to his website he has so many styles and types that I ddon't know which one to pick or try.:shock:

·
1,877 Posts
Hey Neff,

I guessing you would want to try all the Saxscapes. :D

Remember when we tried those Lambersons at my house? The J7 model actually felt bright to both of us if I remember. I was using the Otto Link HR at the time prior to the Brillhart. When I got the Saxscape Uptown Dark I had a similar reaction and told Ken that I probably wasn't going to keep the mpc. He said he would tweak it and make it an Extra Dark. When I got it back that was it. I love it.

The Extra Dark is different from the Lamberson J. I tried about 4 of those and I just didn't like them at all. :? Just a personal thing. I don't even like to switch out but after the tweak to an Extra Dark the Saxcape gave me more of what I like in my sound so it was inevitable to start using it all the time.

I DO NOT want to audition any other mpcs right now. I've tried tons of stuff and I rarely gain anything by it. I'm just focused on using this mpc because it's doing just about everything I need . As with any mpc you need a good reed and it hasn't been too hard to find one with this mpc but I still don't know which reed I'll buy more of. I had alot of different ones here and I'm still experimenting within those. Sometimes a reed change can be huge as well so Saxobari don't overlook that fact as well.

Over & out

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Saxobari, I too am curious as to what you didn't like about the Morgan L and EL ?

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saxphil and JTL,about the Morgans,well the EL,,just was too bright,,very nice,,but too bright! The Morgan L,,it just was'nt for me,,I thought that nothing was special about it,,It was very close also to the EL,and that sort of desapointed me,,cause I expected a much darker mpc,,compare to the EL ,,the L was still to bright!
I am getting a Extra Dark 106 from a member here,maybe it will be a good mpc for me!
Hey thanks again everyone for the interest!
All the best
Saxobari

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Allo Neferti what a great website you have! Love to hear those samples that you do!!Just a good idea,,and helps everyone hearing diffrent mpcs and result!You are also a great player,,keep those samples comin in!!
I am dealing right now with Rodrigo,maybe buying his Extra Dark 106 tenor Saxscape mpc,we will see how it turns out!I am a bit concern about the opening though,,I am used too a 110,or an 8,,but this 106 is a 7,,* maybe there wont be that much of a difference in the opening! Anyways I played lots of 7 in the past and were find!I have been tempted by those mouthpieces for a while now,so may it will be a good match with my tenor III.
Thanks again guys for all the replys for this subject!
All the best,
Saxobari :D

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi Soxobari,

Give really a try to the saxscape option. I play the uptown NF .110 since 2 weeks and it is simply the best tenor piece I ever tried.
I use the slim profile, which is an excellent choice for those who are used to metal pieces.
I can only agree to what has been said about the uptown, in particular the even response through the whole register and the ease to articulate very precisely.
Quite superior for instance to my Guardala MB II.
The uptown NF is a perfect match on my VI, which is already known as a rather bright horn. I think the Dark or extra Dark is what you are looking after.

Good luck.
Marc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have just ordered a saxscape uptown NF. I have played a Lamberson J last year.
If Mike found the uptown dark to be brighter, I hope the NF is not much brighter than the Lamberson J

·
1,877 Posts
The uptown Dark is not brighter than a J from what I remember. I find the Saxscape is different in a good way.That was just a reaction I had when I tried a couple J's the first time I tried them. It was similar Then when I got the Dark I was A little surprised that it wasn't what I thought. Basically what I was looking for was Extra Dark . I told Ken I thought I should have got that one in the first place.

This stuff is all very subjective and each of us has our core tonal concept that we want.( this is for players that have been doing it a while and are hearing a good sound and getting it.) We try mpcs looking for that core conceptual sound we have . We look for the response of the mpc to give us that. The one that serves us best is the one that plays without alot of effort, responds and articulates to our liking, has good intonation with our horns, and gives the tonal response we are looking for.

Hopefully this makes sense to you all, I know it's be said and done before.

To me the Saxscape came along and is alot of fun to play and gives me the best of what I want to hear. It's more of the conceptual sound that I have in my head.

Tonight I put on a Stanley Turrentine groove record called Trouble No.11 I think with Shirley Scott on organ. I just kept dropping the needle looking for that sound within mine and the Saxscape gets that tone for me. If only I could pop those altissimo A's like Stanley. It ain't the mpc. but with this one it's fun trying.

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Extra Dark Saxscape is on his way home!!

Allo everyone,,the Saxcscape 106 EX Dark is on his way here,,got it from Rodrigo here on this great place! I will let you know my thoughts after getting it!So finaly I will play a Saxscape mpc!Lets hope for the best!
Thanks again for all your inputs on this tenor mpc!
All the best,
Saxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
My question is what could possible be darker than a HR Link?

Send your HR Link to Brian Powell and have him reface it and you should be as dark as you like. $70 with S/H.

Saxobari did you ever try the Ref 36 neck on your III tenor. I'm thinking it might tame some of the brightness of the III.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts