Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a cheap contoured Protec MAX tenor case and made a styrofoam insert that works great with my Conn New Wonder II. I took a chunk of styrofoam from some packing material and carved it to fit the top end of my case and covered it with fabric to match. It's 5-1/4" long with about a 1" deep circle carved out for the end cap. Add an inch if you don't have an end cap. I made sure it was a tight fit so the insert would stay in place but comes out easily enough for when you want to go back to a tenor case.

I got the fabric from an old piece of clothing from Goodwill and used headliner adhesive from an auto parts store. The adhesive eats away the styrofoam a little, so only spray it on the fabric and let it dry a full 5 minutes before sticking it on.

Of course the rest of the horn does't fit like a glove, but the insert keeps it from moving around. Because of the split bell keys, closing the case takes a little extra force but not enough to hurt anything.
View attachment 249686

I was hoping to modify an alto case or alto gig bag but found that none were long enough in either the body or bell section. And the cheap new C melody cases that were available a few years ago are now long gone.

My original case is also usable thanks to this fix I made to the latches. But my modded tenor case is lighter and provides more protection.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...Broken-Latch&p=4045366&viewfull=1#post4045366

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the same case, but my Conn C Melody seems to be snug without adding any material.
Mine is too, but really only because of the bell key guards. I mostly didn't like the way it looked or what might happen in an upside-down drop onto the top.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
That's a great idea. Looks pretty good. If you don't like how the rest of the horn fits, you could make some more inserts for other areas around the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
When I was packing a C-mel into a tenor gig bag (for actual gigs), I solved the loose fit problem the other way around -- I made an extra long "neck plug" out of PVC pipe. It took a few months for someone else to spot the weakness in that plan -- even though the PVC is springy, it would transfer some of the force in the event of a knock. I pointed out that as lightly padded as the gig bag is, a properly fitting tenor with no PVC is going to be damaged by that exact same knock. He still had a point though, and I took a little extra care not to wreck the neck tenon by letting the pipe take impacts. I still did it that way though, as I didn't want to modify the bag since I still used it for a tenor. Once I got another tenor bag, I cut the old one down to size, problem solved.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When I was packing a C-mel into a tenor gig bag (for actual gigs), I solved the loose fit problem the other way around -- I made an extra long "neck plug" out of PVC pipe.
Both good ideas. I've got an original case, but I'd like to have a modern case with a sling/strap. The C mel is loaned out right now to a buddy, when I get it back, I plan to take it to a gig or two, and I'll make an "adapter" to fit my Protec.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Huh. That Protec MAX looks a lot different from the one I got a few years ago.
I used some Kaizen foam to make a couple foam inserts to fit my Buescher, and a comical number of (of all things) furniture tacks to hold them in. The insert on the back of the body under the thumb hook is just loose, it goes in after the horn.

View attachment 253076 View attachment 253078

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good. I should note that my Protec is the contoured model, not the rectangular one. I was able to get by with just one piece of foam at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts