Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i play a 7 sr on tenor and use rico plasticover 1.5 reeds. perfect for bigband and lush getz type ballads or straight ahead jazz. plenty of volume when pushed.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
It depends on which Brilhart you're talking about. I don't think the SR is very similar to a Brilhart Levelaire.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I could not find it searching, but I would swear that I read that the model 22 runyon was a knock off of the ebolin

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Paul Coats will know

·
2,960 Posts
yes the 22 is sim to a brilhart but the sr is a better mpc and gets the same sound.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Model 22 is what brought this whole thing up. I just ordered a Model 22 to check out on alto and was just wondering if there was an Ebolin-like piece for tenor. Thanks for the help. I might try an SR as well. I have discovered that I am just not a link guy and there aren't that many other classical designs available on tenor. It seems like everything is some kind of take on a link.

·
12,703 Posts
I never thought SR when I thought Brilhart but then I have never played them back to back. On that note I do like the SR, its a unique piece. I liked it a lot on my Martin, didnt like it on the Ref 54 so I sold it. I dont how how it behaves on a VI.

·
2,960 Posts
i like my sr on any tenor esp my 10m.i have never taken to metal links either and the sr does it for me well

·
Registered
250 Posts
The model 22 is internally very close the to vintage ebolin/tonalin, but Santy studentified this 22 piece with very thick and safe rails and it does not play like i Brilhart at all. The best low priced Brilhart copy is the white Buescher from the 50s, which was also made by Runyon. The reason behind the good copy could be that they also made the Brilharts for a periode. But the white Buescher have very bad facings so you have to add a new facing to the price.

·
480 Posts
I like the SR for tenor (mine is an 11) - good for that vibe that you'd use a Brillhart for. I also have an SR for alto. On the 6M it's simply gorgeous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts