Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hello, what a pleasure to find so many Buescher enthusiasts, maybe I cannot compare the TT with the rest, but I can tell you my appreciation: the TT despite having a somewhat uncomfortable ergonomics, is a very easy sax to play, the emission of the The sound is like silk, it has a somewhat dark sound (not too much), very velvety, the bass is powerful and beautiful, with incredible subtones, treble and over sharp treble, it is almost a cello haha, very enveloping sound, sweet in the mids , the highlight for me is its impressive resonance, you feel the vibration up to your feet haha
Hahaha, those vibrations ......

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
You are correct, the TT is a lot more focused and has a unique "raw, no compromise, in-your-face" sound.

The156 in comparison is very tame (I know that sounds funny), it is quite a bit lighter (weight) and more controllable. I love both horns but they want to be played loud. The 156 is the work horse, no surprises.
Yeah, it sounds like the TT is closer to the series one than the 156. However, "tame" is probably the last term I'd use to describe my 156. Maybe, in comparison with the TT you mean the 156 is easier to control or more flexible? I find it (the 156) can go from "0 to 100" with only a minor adjustment in the airstream, very free-blowing (if I can use that term). The lower register is beautiful at low volume or sub tone and immense when pushed. The high notes pop right out and altissimo is great.

Maurosaxtenor it sounds like you are very happy with your TT tenor. You're probably fine just sticking with it. But if you're really curious about the Aristocrats or TH&C, you'll have to try them to find out how you like them in comparison. You'd likely find the ergos to be more comfortable on the 156 & TH&C horns, than on the TT.

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,371 Posts
I started out on a well beaten Bundy Bari, which I loved. I’ve owned two Buescher’s. A C-melody, acquired under interesting circumstance, didn’t exactly wow me. And a ‘49 TH&C tenor, that did. Only sax where I’ve gotten (infrequent, but regular) compliments on the sound. I think the ergonomics are actually…slick? Very enjoyable. I don’t know too many well known artists who play them, outside of Pete and his alto. Lee Allen. Hodges. Maybe the Lawrence Welk Orchestra? But there’s nothing about it I can imagine that would limit a talented player in any tangible way. From Rascher to Garberek, whose curvy soprano is the most haunting thing I’ve ever heard, Bueschers are great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
[QUOTE = "Maurosaxtenor, publicación: 4323792, miembro: 137775"]
[QUOTE = "Sax Magic, publicación: 4323566, miembro: 21381"]
Voto por el 156, habiendo jugado a ambos, y ahora tengo un grabado de 156 script (que es exactamente como el 156 Big B pero te ahorrará varios cientos de dólares).

También hay varios modelos 400 a lo largo de los años, y no todos son tan buenos como el modelo Top Hat & Cane. El Top Hat & Cane será mucho más caro que un 156 Big B, ¡y mucho más caro que un script 156!
Ahórrese el gasto y la molestia de tratar de encontrar el modelo 400 "correcto" y obtener el modelo de script 156. Vendí mi Conn 10M cuando encontré un buen script 156 y nunca miré hacia atrás.

La opinión de este hombre, y espero que ayude.
[/ CITA]
Hola gracias por tu comentario. Hay alguna diferencia entre el 156big de el script 156? ¿Estamos hablando en ambos casos de Buescher? Disculpa mi ignorancia y gracias de nuevo, está información es muy útil para mí

Lo siento, lo publico en ingles y el navegador lo cambia por mi
[/ CITA]
[QUOTE = "Maurosaxtenor, publicación: 4323792, miembro: 137775"]
[QUOTE = "Sax Magic, publicación: 4323566, miembro: 21381"]
Voto por el 156, habiendo jugado a ambos, y ahora tengo un grabado de 156 script (que es exactamente como el 156 Big B pero te ahorrará varios cientos de dólares).

También hay varios modelos 400 a lo largo de los años, y no todos son tan buenos como el modelo Top Hat & Cane. El Top Hat & Cane será mucho más caro que un 156 Big B, ¡y mucho más caro que un script 156!
Ahórrese el gasto y la molestia de tratar de encontrar el modelo 400 "correcto" y obtener el modelo de script 156. Vendí mi Conn 10M cuando encontré un buen script 156 y nunca miré hacia atrás.

La opinión de este hombre, y espero que ayude.
[/ CITA]
Hola gracias por tu comentario. Hay alguna diferencia entre el 156big de el script 156? ¿Estamos hablando en ambos casos de Buescher? Disculpa mi ignorancia y gracias de nuevo, está información es muy útil para mí

Lo siento, lo publico en ingles y el navegador lo cambia por mi
[/ CITA]
hola, disculpe mi ignorancia, pero ¿cuál es la diferencia entre el script 156 y el 156? ambos sin Buescher? ¿Cómo los busco en la web?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
boy, I'm confused with aristrocrat series 1, 156 Big B and 156 script, could you tell me or give me a guide of the differences between them, years and approximate price, to be able to do an internet search, since I can't get that script, It may be that I am not looking for it correctly, if you have photos I would appreciate them to be able to differentiate. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Let's see if I understood, correct me if it is like this or not: the 156 script would be an aristocrat III, which is the same as the 156 Big B of series II but without the engraving of the B. Is that so?

·
23,681 Posts
Mauro, your confusion is understandable. Let me answer this as straightforward as possible.

There is NO difference between the 156 with Big B engraving and the 156 with script engraving, except for the engraving. Both are Buescher Aristocrat 156 tenors. And of course the engraving is strictly cosmetic; it has nothing to do with how the horn sounds or plays. Keep that straight and here's a bit more info:

Buescher changed the engraving on the 156 tenor from " Big B" to a "script" design sometime around '48 or '49 (I'm not sure of the exact date) and that's all they changed until sometime later in the '50s.

I'm not sure about the 'series II, III, etc. labels. Buescher didn't use those. But if those labels refer to the engraving, then yes they are the same horn (again aside from the engraving).

You can find photos in some of the Buescher threads; I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I think the ergonomics are actually…slick? Very enjoyable.
+1. I haven't played too many different makes of tenor, but it was the 40s TH&C I tried at Howarth's that sold me. Incredibly compact and slick ergos--felt almost like an alto. Plus a really raw and spread tone (at least in their little basement practice cubicle) that sounded perfect for rock and ska, which I was mostly playing at the time.

Eventually, I found a 1950s TH&C 400 (B12), and the ergos are still fantastic. Playing at home, in a slightly bigger practice space, it sounds a lot more versatile, depending on my mouthpiece (and it likes many kinds), reed, and mood. Still my favourite tenor to play.

I'd love to try a 156 someday, though we just don't see that many Bueschers north of the 49th parallel.

·
23,681 Posts
Here's a photo showing my '39 series one Aristocrat tenor (on the left) next to my '50 script-engraved 156 Aristocrat (on the right). If you look closely you should see the difference in bell shape and flare, with the 156 having a larger flare at the rim of the bell. The 156 bell also kind of 'kinks' outward a bit compared to a smoother curve on the series one.
The engraving is kind of hard to see, but it's an art deco pattern on the series one and a floral script on the 156. Serial # 293,xxx on the series one and 331,xxx on the 156.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had this '51 156 Crat for years and although it's no museum piece it plays and sounds great. My question is "is it script-engraved?". I never heard this description before and it makes me curious. Hopefully this picture is of the right area. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe you have a script engraved 156 there, Slisbin. It should have a serial number in the 330K to 365K range if I remember correctly. If not, someone else will come along a straighten me out.

·
23,681 Posts
I've had this '51 156 Crat for years and although it's no museum piece it plays and sounds great. My question is "is it script-engraved?"
Yes, that is what we've been referring to as 'script' engraving. Not sure where that term came from, it could as easily be called 'floral' or something like that. If you look at the silver plated horn on the right in the photo I posted just above your last post, you can see the same 'script' engraving on my 331,xxx 156.

So, as already mentioned (more than once), your script 156 is the exact same horn as the Big B 156, aside from the engraving.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's a photo showing my '39 series one Aristocrat tenor (on the left) next to my '50 script-engraved 156 Aristocrat (on the right). If you look closely you should see the difference in bell shape and flare, with the 156 having a larger flare at the rim of the bell. The 156 bell also kind of 'kinks' outward a bit compared to a smoother curve on the series one.
The engraving is kind of hard to see, but it's an art deco pattern on the series one and a floral script on the 156. Serial # 293,xxx on the series one and 331,xxx on the 156.

View attachment 109070
Thanks for all the good input. I love the ribbon style key guards, very unique. :love:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Yes, that is what we've been referring to as 'script' engraving. Not sure where that term came from, it could as easily be called 'floral' or something like that. If you look at the silver plated horn on the right in the photo I posted just above your last post, you can see the same 'script' engraving on my 331,xxx 156.

So, as already mentioned (more than once), your script 156 is the exact same horn as the Big B 156, aside from the engraving.
It's been said before but the "Big B" refers to a big "B" (as in Buescher) engraving. Many folks believe it refers to a big bell but while the bell is big, that's not what it is about.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It's been said before but the "Big B" refers to a big "B" (as in Buescher) engraving. Many folks believe it refers to a big bell but while the bell is big, that's not what it is about.
Apparently, it was all just a marketing war. Buescher released the first Big B right before Conn was set to announce its new Big C line.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,861 Posts
Script engraving might be referring to the actual Font itself used to spell 'Buescher'
at that period. I pulled out some my Bueschers from different years:

1929 TT tenor, 1934 New Aristocrat alto, 1938 139 Custom Built Bari
1940 1st year Big B tenor .. even my 1926 TT tenor has it's own unique font .

So, yeah 'Script' refers to Font type, I'm pretty sure .

21 - 40 of 56 Posts