Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using this piece for a while. I bought it from Sakshama on eBay a few years ago. He had done some refacing before selling it. Problem is that to play it in tune -- with a relaxed embouchure -- on my Mark VI, it has to sit too near the end of the neck piece. I had Mike Filice put on paper thin neck cork to build the cork up to the point the piece will sit properly.

Is it a chamber problem? Ready to dump the thing on Kijiji and move onto a piece that sits properly, metal or HR. Any advice would be much appreciated

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
What other kind of mouthpieces have worked well on that same sax and neck? There are too many variables here with this sketchy info to determine anything. Bergs are not known for playing sharp any more than any other mouthpiece. Possibly it was modified before Sak got it. It possibly could have a shortened shank or something added behind the throat. For that matter, if your sax plays sharp, it could have a damaged or modified neck.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If that is a mouthpiece you can't live without, take it to a good tech and have him/her braise a 1" extension onto the shank. That way the piece with sit in the same position relative to the end of the neck for tuning, but will have more shank extending up the cork for stability. A tech with good lathe skills could knock one out and silver solder it on without breaking a sweat. :) I had the same issue using a Berg on my "Frankentenor" I pieced together from two Conns I found in pawn shops. I accidentally left the mouthpiece at a gig and it was gone when I went back for it. I ended up selling the sax to Jaice Dumars who did his "thing" to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Not much more to say to fill out the sketch. No shortened shank although I have heard of people having shank extensions added. Mods were to facing only. Horn played well with STM and Vandoren Java.I will look further

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,765 Posts
I used a Babbitt Supreme for many years where this was also a concern. I ended up buying a new neck for my Yamaha, a Barone, which largely solved the problem. It has a significantly larger internal volume than the stock Yamaha neck. But I can understand someone not wanting to use an aftermarket neck on a Mark VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
I can assure you that if the Berg has not been altered in a significant way, its not the mouthpiece. However, the most expedient thing (and probably the least expensive) for you to do is to find another mouthpiece. Thousands of guys have played and still play Bergs of all sizes on Selmers and other saxes and typically you will see them with the mouthpiece pushed pretty far on the cork.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Humm.. I'm having a similar issue with my new (to me) 10M. I was using my old Yamaha plastic MP on the Conn, so I went and bought a Meyer rubber MP. In order for it not to play sharp I have to pull the MP off the neck until there is only 5/8 left on the neck. I'm going to take it back and try some others. What is the traditional MP for a Conn 10M ? I read somewhere that the proper mouthpiece for every horn is the one that finishes the cone of the horns bore. It completes the cone so that the horn plays in tune. This makes sense to me. It explains how a larger chamber effects intonation.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,644 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my new (to me) 10M. .
From what I've heard (not from direct experience), this is not an uncommon issue with a 10M; Conn horns evidently need a relatively lg chamber mpc.

However, it shouldn't be an issue with a MKVI. I've tried a lot of different mpcs on my VI tenor and while they vary a bit in placement, they all go well onto the cork to play in tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts