Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about either to buy or trade for one of those Sakshama's Guardala.
My question is certainly I want something different then my tenor Berg Offset 105 that I really dig!Though I don t need two of the same or very similar sound!
So is the Sakshama MBII or the Sakshama MBI should be a better choice?I know that the I is darker,and the II is brighter,but any of you owns a tenor Berg Offset and could compare them to us?
All the best and thanks for the replys.

Saxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Bergs are all over the place; "off-set" isn't much info 2 make a comparison. What chamber size? Has someone refaced it & how does it play?
FWIW, I've played a lot of Bergs & love the MBII/MBII that I got from Sakshama. Also, Sakshama can customize ur piece, as he did on the piece I bought.
Are you familiar w/Guardalas & how they play? They do feel different from Bergs......daryl

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
ive had this conversation maybe 10 times this week!!! ive got a great playing VINTAGE green berg 100 2 sms on ebay this week and everyones hounding me whether it is offset or not....once they find out its not they have ABSOLUTELY no interest!!!! this has got to be some Collector's hype!

but the berg and guardala are 2 different animals,arent they folks??
a berg is a classic rubber piece with many good attributes of a bright power piece
a Guardala is a power piece with some good attributes of a classic metal piece

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Depending on the baffle. A 110 over 0 is gonna be closer to a Guardala then to a Links (which is where I would put the 2's and 3's).

The whole issue wiht the "offset" is a lot of hype, yes, but, without the offset you can pretty much get a new Berg and get the same thing. IMO.

Inthe end, it's how it plays. I have a modern Berg and it's a good piece, but a good vintage Berg, to me, it is not. However, I have a vintage Berg that is complete and uutter garbage, looks like someone put it to a wheel in there shop in a drunken stuper.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
my favorite berg has the pickup installed!!! ive since picked up the pickup(har-har) from a fellow SOTWer but have still yet to use it!!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I understand the people on the Titanic came across a nice Berg...

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bergs are all over the place; "off-set" isn't much info 2 make a comparison. What chamber size? Has someone refaced it & how does it play?
FWIW, I've played a lot of Bergs & love the MBII/MBII that I got from Sakshama. Also, Sakshama can customize ur piece, as he did on the piece I bought.
Are you familiar w/Guardalas & how they play? They do feel different from Bergs......daryl
Allo Wersax
Yes I am a little familiar with Guardala,I did owned last summer a Handmade Guardala BM II.,which was nice,,but just let it go!
As for my Berg It is the 105 2 M
For me it plays just incredible,came from 10Mfans.It has original facing,and just great with any reeds,,Of course a good reed!
Just needs some comparaison between a good Berg and Sakshama Guardalas.
Thanks
Regards
Saxobari

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
man, Sakshama Koloski is a superb MPC craftsman. I do some MPC work and I'm picky as hell and his work is the only work I can play without even thinking of "getting hands on business" with his pieces. He should be charging a lot more for his thing. Get in touch with him and take advantage of having a supreme MPC artisan "in the house" that's still affordable, patient, humble, easy to work with, and delivering on par or better than promissed on "sales pitch". And IN TIME!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Sakshama Brecker 1 is great,best guardala type i had.I had a big bunch of handmade and laser DGs,the saks was the winner for me..The most powerfull piece i had.Went to a slightly darker sound now hence i now use a Freddie Gregory.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a Berg 115/0 that is a great player, but the Sak MBII I got a few months ago is totally killin. Lots of power AND flexability. With a big fat low register to boot! I totally agree with all the positive feedback he gets here. He's quite helpful and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a Berg 105/2/offset M scoopbill worked on by Brian Powell to a true .108. I played it against a Sakshama King. The King was pretty awesome - bright, but a huge sound from top to bottom. It was a .112 but played like a .105. I was impressed.

The King belonged to a friend. I now own a Sakshama Z (Dukoff/Zimberoff copy) that I love. Probably going to be my main piece. It's a bit darker than my Bergs (I also have a modern bronze Berg, Powellized like the offset M) but still with a lot of projection.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i bought my first Sakshama Guardala because of his good feedback on SOTW.......and in the past year I've seen NOTHING but very positive feedback of his work...
in getting to know him and see how he works I'm a firm supporter!!! love the bronze as well...now he's making sterling silver and mine is AMAZING

if anyone in Europe wants a MBI bronze wax copy I have 1 left :)

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
A solid silver Saks Brecker 1,how nice does that sound,wow is the word

·
2,294 Posts
Borganiboy, I think you need to work a little on your appearance - you'll never get a gig looking like that! It is you, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...well all i can say is there is a SERIOUS difference between my solid silver MB2 and the bronze one I had..... furthermore the bronze MB2 was quite brighter than the MB1 ...not anymore with sterling silver

...did Sakshama put more care into giving me a serious piece of work because of the extra bread it costs??? ...possibly.... but i can tell you my bronze was great too...and this one doesnt need t be plated!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
" ...did Sakshama put more care into giving me a serious piece of work because of the extra bread it costs??? ...possibly.... but i can tell you my bronze was great too..."

I think it is evolution. The bronze MBII you had was one of the first I made. Since then I improved the appearance - dental epoxy bite plate the most obvious, and definitely picked up some things that works regarding the playability. The care and attention I give my pieces didn't change.
Sakshama

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Allo Wersax
Yes I am a little familiar with Guardala,I did owned last summer a Handmade Guardala BM II.,which was nice,,but just let it go!
As for my Berg It is the 105 2 M
For me it plays just incredible,came from 10Mfans.It has original facing,and just great with any reeds,,Of course a good reed!
Just needs some comparaison between a good Berg and Sakshama Guardalas.
Thanks
Regards
Saxobari
Saxobari,
Sounds like u have a great Berg!
If I had to reduce the comparison of Bergs and Guardalas to a sentence, I'd say that Bergs tend to be more focused and Guardalas tend to be more flexible, and that it would boil down to differences in chambers and baffles. The Bergs tend to have a smaller chamber and a longer baffle than Guardalas, tho' obviously not true with Guardala Kings and Super Kings, (which are based on Bergs). So, Guardala chambers are larger and will take more air and you can do more with it as a result, IMO, but I have found that Bergs are louder, (for me, anyway). I'm sticking with my Sakshama MBI/MBII.
Sirspinbad: solid silver, huh? I am actually saving $ to order one from Sakshama, tho' I've not contacted him yet. Let us know ur impressions on it when u get it!
:)
Daryl

·
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allo Daryl
The more I think of this ,I really am thinking of maybe getting bthat cross of BMI and BMII.
Yes I do have a fabulous Berg Offset that I got from Mark here,but the shape of the beak really bothers me,but so far the mpc is so GREAT besides that I don t think that I will sell or trdae that one!!! :)
So hopefully I ll sell my alto mpc to get the Guardala from Sakshama soon.
Best regards
Saxobari

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Daryl,the solid silver is Amazing!!! and warm.....

whether you believe that differences in material make a difference or not(I do).... the solid silver takes away the need to plate the piece(something to consider)

as Sakshama says...it does look great as well!!! most,think I'm playing an original

1 - 19 of 19 Posts