Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
That is a great video Peter, thanks for putting it up- and with Side C ’s comments we have some real deal juicy mpc folklore too! Wonderful.

I was in a fusion type band many years ago with the late Budd Johnson Jr., who was a good conga/percussion player. The band did a recording and Budd Jr. played it for his Pops. Budd Jr. came to the rehearsal and said his Pops dug the tenor player- man that is something I will always treasure.

Anyway I think Budd play his #$% here and smites everyone :bluewink:. Very underated cat in the pantheon of greats.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Did you know he has/had a brother named Keg Johnson? Keg played great trombone. I have a CD with them, recoreded in the 50's, Budd is killing on that. Also Ben Webster loved his playing, check out the LP or CD 'Ben Webster and Friends', where Budd (IMO!) outplays Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster (I know that's a risque statement!).
Didn't know that man about Keg. I do have that Budd CD with Ben, Hawk & Lil Jazz and Budd sounds great and I agree with you that he outplays Hawk & Ben on that date.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.