Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am an experienced musician taht just started sax looking to have fun.
I have a tenor now.
I figure in a year if I am doing good Ill get an upgrade.
I would like to play two different saxes eventually.
My question is this.
is it easier to go from tenor to soprano since they are both b-flat?
I have heard sorano is hard. but I thought it would be easier to play tenor and sorano as they are both b-flat.
I would think that tenor to alto would be harder becouse of the transcription factor. I think it would get confusing.
With bass and guitar you dont transcribe anything.
I would think in my little prehistoric brain that alto to baritone would be easy becouse both are e-flat and tenor to soprano would be the same.
am I right or wrong or just a confused mess?
If this thread exist elsewhere I'M SORRY DONT STONE ME TO DEATH.
I searched and didnt see anywhere.
thanks
Dave:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Dave: Yes, it was recently discussed - hope the link sent by Carbs works.

In case it doesn't, I'll make this short. The Bb to Bb move doesn't tell the whole story. The size differentiation is what may give you the most trouble, I fear.

But not to worry - many folks have done it, and all other sorts of transitions, too (soprano to cornet, for instance). Good musicians have a way of overcoming those minor problems. DAVE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a bunch of garbage about being hard to switch to soprano. I never had problems switching between saxes; and I've played all three in church services. I never listen to people who tell me something is going to be hard or difficult, because it just plants negative thoughts about something you haven't even tried. Yes, it may have been difficult for that person, but you may just breeze through it. Again I say: just look at learning a new instrument as fun, and not a chore. Enjoy your new discovery. You may just become very talented on your new instrument(s)

Dude, I'm just learning to play Blues and Rock guitar, and I'm having a ball!
I'm already playing solos from THE EAGLES "One Of These Nights," CHICAGO's "25 or 6 to 4," and Clapton's "Tearing Us Apart, (from the Live At Knebworth video). And I started just 6 weeks ago.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
You're learning that really long Terry Kath solo on guitar? Wow.
I thought I was cool when I learn 'Blackbird".

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Basically New Sax. The Soprano would be a harder switch from the Tenor. And don't rule out the Alto, if you do want to go Soprano. I read here one time, you post a simple question you will get 100 different responses. I think Grumps said that. I am not going to try to talk you into playing Alto, over Soprano. Just play both, and pick which one is easier to play. Or which one you enjoy the most playing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank!!!!!

Just wanted to thank everyone out there.
I am really starting to like this forum.
quick responses!!!!
Sax quest I wait a week to get an answer and they have no search engine.
but it is AN AWESOME site in other regards. Just that this forum is way better.
thanks.
After reading all this I decided.
I'll switch to soprano when I sound great on tenor. NOT BEFORE.
thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts