Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SOTWers,

Just curious about the 'o ring' tenon joints on the current YCL-221 II Bass Clarinet. Has anyone had the rubber rings removed and replaced them with cork? The tenon would probably need to have some extra material removed (on a lathe) from the space between the grooves the rubber rings were in to make space for the cork.

Many thanks,

Jimmy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Simso, middle joint (half cork with one o ring) very stable but the bottom joint very unstable. Should mention it's a school instrument so if it's more stable should be more user friendly for the students. Jimmy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Are the lower o-rings worn out? Because the joint is quite tight and stable on my relatively new 221 II. Maybe it just needs new rings, or slightly thicker ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
Be aware that O-rings also come in varying durometers. Higher durometer material is less easily compressed - perhaps more stable in this application.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points all. As a school instrument it has done some hard yards and although the rings don't look too worn they may have compressed some. I'll get it off to repair and see what he thinks is the most reliable and effective repair. Many thanks, Jimmy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
O-rings do not compress easily - they rather wear, but with a plastic instrument this is not going to happen fast.
I think that the cork is responsible for the stability while the rings cater for airtightness. Personally I opt for the cork being worn and chafed - it's the first to suffer from pupils' neglect. But O-rings are cheap and replaced within seconds, so no biggie if the cork is being replaced anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts