Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 10 years ago today that I started working on my Selmer History research.
It’s been a fun decade, transcribing over a million records and collecting over 108,000 photos of Selmer saxophones. But the most exciting part is that there is so much more work to do !!
For the past 18 months, I have spent several hours each day transcribing Selmer Paris clarinet records. I expect this process to be complete in the next 3 or 4 weeks. After that, am going to concentrate on several specific areas of interest, including intra-model developments, body numbers, market-specific developments and many others and will of course publish my findings. I will continue to publish Clarinet charts by Series and should have these completed by the end of 2022. I plan to take a break from transcription for the rest of the summer and then in the fall will start digging into the Selmer Paris Trumpet records.
This evening, I will to take a few minutes to pour a glass of wine (or perhaps two) to celebrate the last ten years and all the new friends I have made during my research.
I offer a toast to all of you who have helped me so much in this process, and I look forward to the next ten years of research.

All the best,
Douglas Pipher

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
…I will continue to publish Clarinet charts by Series and should have these completed by the end of 2022. …
Nice! I can appreciate and understand your passion. I have a Selmer Paris metal clarinet which I believe was made in 1929.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congratulations! That's some serious dedication, your efforts have definitely enhanced my knowledge of and experience with Selmer saxes.

I recall you mentioning a book at some point, is that still in the works? Cheers!

Reactions: Uwe Steinmetz

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'm a day late, but toast to you , Doug, for working passionately on something you care about, bringing it to light, and sharing it openly. In itself , it is a very loving gesture inside and out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,704 Posts
That’s quite a hunk of research! Congratulations on 10 years of diligently working on this project. I look forward to hearing more about it. Just out of curiosity what would you say is your biggest surprise in your findings?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Douglas, you've been taking saxophone research to a completely new level. Your research is thorough and interesting to follow. You are always so helpful and I know that I'm not the only one that is greatful for your knowledge and willingness to share information regarding particular saxophones and serialnumbers.
Cheers to you and to your research!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
7,867 Posts
I think we’ve all benefited from your research. Thank you Douglas!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Congratulations on 10 years, Douglas! There are many of us who really appreciate your research. What would be the best way for the rest of us to continue to share information with you about Selmer instruments?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,827 Posts
Tuesday I am going to see what is supposed to be a first-year MK VI tenor. I don't know the SN yet or anything else. I'm not interested in it myself - the owner wants help in setting a price plus a full inspection (with playing, if possible) and help with writing the description. Once its listed, I will also answer any technical question that may come up during the sale.
I also am saying 'Thanks!' to Doug for the latest serial number list and I will have it when I see this horn. A question came to mind that I don't remember anyone asking - when in 1954 did they begin to ship the new MK VI out? And, at what number did they drop the 'double S' on the neck?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
In Douglas’ paper he states: “About 1.000 early Alto and Tenor examples featured an SCi logo
on the neck, before moving to the familiar "S" logo. Note the overlap of SBA/Mark VI numbers for Alto and Tenor. This was due to US and Euro
market switching at different times.”

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tuesday I am going to see what is supposed to be a first-year MK VI tenor. I don't know the SN yet or anything else. I'm not interested in it myself - the owner wants help in setting a price plus a full inspection (with playing, if possible) and help with writing the description. Once its listed, I will also answer any technical question that may come up during the sale.
I also am saying 'Thanks!' to Doug for the latest serial number list and I will have it when I see this horn. A question came to mind that I don't remember anyone asking - when in 1954 did they begin to ship the new MK VI out? And, at what number did they drop the 'double S' on the neck?
I've seen double s altos starting at 55xxx, but I've only seen double s tenors at 56xxx. I'd be curious to hear what others have observed!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when in 1954 did they begin to ship the new MK VI out? And, at what number did they drop the 'double S' on the neck?
The Mark VI Tenors started shipping in August 1954, with the Sci neck logo. The last Sci Tenors shipped in Jan 1955. There was also a brief period where some of the Tenors had the standard S logo, but it was smaller than the later ones. I have seen this logo (I call it the Small S logo) on Tenors which were shipped in late 1954 and early 1955.
The serial range I have seen for the SCi logo is 54.k to 56.5k

By Feb 1955, the “standard” logo becomes the standard.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The Mark VI Tenors started shipping in August 1954, with the Sci neck logo. The last Sci Tenors shipped in Jan 1955. There was also a brief period where some of the Tenors had the standard S logo, but it was smaller than the later ones. I have seen this logo (I call it the Small S logo) on Tenors which were shipped in late 1954 and early 1955.
The serial range I have seen for the SCi logo is 54.k to 56.5k

By Feb 1955, the “standard” logo becomes the standard.
The latest Sci (double S) neck I've seen is 5660x (tenor). Would you mind posting a photo of the "Small S" logo and the range you've seen for it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts