Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i do not have a ligature for my soprano and i need a quick fix except WWBW where i am willing to order from does not have any in stock. i don't have any local shops to get one from. will an alto or clarinet ligature work?

thanks,
swing sax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,022 Posts
A hose clamp from the hardware store, or a heavy o ring, or a fat rubber band - like from a bunch of broccoli will all do the job.

·
Registered
342 Posts
never tried the hose clamp. Is that a NAPA hose clamp?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Theres a whole thread of vintage hose clamps - hit the search button. 85 cents at the hardware store. I got one I'll sell for $300 thats going on Ebay soon cause thats where the money is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
One gig I was in such a hurry I actually left my ligature at home. Had EVERYTHING else. So I found some tape and taped the reed on. Certainly not recommended but it got me throught the job.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
If you have a clarinet lig around, you can put some padding under it on top of the mouthpiece to get it going.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Get a bag of cable ties next time you pass a Tandy (or similar) - use them for everything, two make a great lig. If money is tight you can buy the releasable/re-usable ones....

You can have the 'lumps' underneath for the traditional look, or on-top for a more personal statement. :cool: And, if you don't want to cut the ends off, you'll just look like a guitarist with those vicious loose string-ends......

·
Registered
815 Posts
or find a free hand to hold it for you.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts