Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased an Agility Winds tenor saxophone from Tempest Musical Instruments in Texas. My previous horn was a Buffet SuperDynaction with a serial number of 7197. It had reached the end of the line and required a complete overhaul. This would require a huge outlay of cash which would be difficult to make and to justify in my retirement and old age. I sold the sax and salvaged as much money as I could.
I have played the sax on and off for 50 years. My father bought me a brand new Selmer Mark VI back in 1963 when I was 14 years old. I played that sax for several years but when girls became more important than playing, I sold it to buy a car (if I only knew then what I know now, I would have been better off keeping the horn). Since then, I have had a Conn 10M, a Buescher Aristocrat, and several LA Sax’s. I have also had several soprano and alto saxophones as well.
I saw an ad for the Tempest horn and was intrigued by it. The saxophone featured a “patented brass alloy with a very high copper content, which would allow for a richer, warmer sound. It is acoustically based on the Selmer (Paris) Mark VI with state-of-the-art intonation and professional mechanism.” It had Pisoni pads with brass resonators, and blue steel springs. The deciding factors for me were that it had a 5 year warranty and a 14 day return privilege. I called Tempest and spoke to Jim who was a real Southern Gentleman. I made a great deal and ordered the horn on Wednesday and received it the following Monday.
Of course, the first thing I noticed was the case. It was first class. Heavy duty black canvas, several handles and back straps with a very well-padded interior.
I couldn’t wait to unwrap the sax. When I did, it took my breath away. The rose gold colored sax was beautiful. The engravings were exquisite and even the lower bow and bell keys were engraved. The abalone buttons were a knock out.
I set up the horn using the supplied mouthpiece and a number 3 Plasticover reed that I had. The sound was phenomenal. The low register was bold and easy to blow. The upper register was sweet, warm and centered. The full range plus overtones were easily attained.
I couldn’t be happier with the sax. I heartily recommend it to anyone. I think it would be especially great to buy instead of a student or intermediate model of other brands. I would also recommend it over buying a vintage horn that either costs much more and/or requires more money in repairs and repads that the total cost of this horn. This sax would satisfy any ones needs forever. And, for the price, it beats renting hands down.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Glad you are pleased with your new saxophone. Do you happen to know where this line of horns is manufactured? (E.g., Taiwan, China, Vietnam, etc.) The place of origin may be engraved on your instrument.

Fwiw, I am dubious about the claim of a "patented brass alloy with a very high copper content." I'm not referring to the claim about the metal's purported musical benefits, which is a subject for a separate thread (and has been the subject of many such threads), but rather the question whether it truly has been patented. It is legally possible to patent a particular alloy, but all U.S. patents have a requirement of nonobviousness, and with so many different formulations of brass already in use for many years, including high-copper alloys, I think this requirement would be a high hurdle in this case. E.g., if brass with 85% copper and brass with 95% copper are already extant, would it be possible to patent a brass alloy with 90% copper? "Hey, it's never been done before!" The first brass-related patent was issued in England in 1781! I'd love to see the details of the patent here. Maybe the formula is more complicated than just the copper content (such as http://www.patentsencyclopedia.com/app/20150368758).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello zyton777,

How is your Tempest tenor doing after 2 years? I'm curious how it looks, how the lacquer is holding up, key work, engraving and general appearance. Does it have a comfortable feel under your fingers and how you like the sound. Any info is appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts