Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing Mk VI sop for 17 years, and want to move to a curved horn. I'm looking at Yanagisawa, Rampone and Borgani. Never played any of them: can't find them here, and will be flying to NYC in May to check them out.

Can you tell me about the curved Borgani soprano? What can I expect of the sound, the action, the resistance, upper and lower register, ergnomics: whatever comes to mind, really.

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have never played a Mk Vi sop - nor a Borgani or Yana ... but I do have a Rampone silver curved sop. I was looking for the deepest fullest sound possible and compared it with a Antigua (straight), a P.Mauriat (semi curved) and a vintage Martin Handcraft (straight). The Rampone and Martin are the "keepers" with the PM being very close.

Though very sturdy, the finishing touchs of the PM are not as good as the Rampone - however there is a significant price difference. The intonation on both were spot on compared to some variations with the Martin.

In regards to curved vs straight, you will find a number of prior threads that deal with this issue = end result is "to each their own". Personally I like the curved a bit better than a straight.

Hopefully you can find something of help above.
W.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts