Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to play an SR Technologies Pro model on alto. It was a great piece.

I'm curious to know about the SR Tech Fusion mpc for tenor. How does it play? Who's compared the .108 tip opening with the .115?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i have one, it's an easy blow... sound? hell if i know, feels like it can cut pretty easily though.

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,309 Posts
Really, you used to have an SR Tech Pro alto mpc? Wonder where it went??

Hehehehe

I have it (as you know) --- It's my "Rock/Contemporary" alto mpc. Jazz and big band alto mpc is an RPC (Ron Coehlo) 90.

I had an SR Tech Fusion on tenor for a while. Lots of volume... lots of guts. But not thin at all! Well designed, well made. Was just a couple shades too bright for the jazz standards and ballads I was doing on tenor. Ended up trading it away and buying an SR Tech PRO for tenor, which is simply the BEST and most versatile tenor mpc I have ever tried, for my tastes. A lot like the Fusion, but less edge. Warmer low range. Powerful from bottom to top, and tons of core in the sound. The PRO does not give up ANY projection compared with the Fusion. The Fusion is just a bit edgier for that contemporary sound.

The late, great Jon Van Wie, when the subject of SR Tech mouthpieces came up, would always say in a reverent tone, "Ahhh, GOOD mouthpiece!" Jon said, and I agreed, that SR Tech has mpcs that are well conceived, well designed, and well made. Hard to find that combination these days!

The ONLY SR Tech mpc I ever tried that I was not wild about was a tenor Legend. That's the Link-like low baffle, large chamber piece. I like more projection than that mpc could deliver. Same reason I don't like Links.

All the tenor SR's I've tried have been .108. You can get the .115 too.

Cheers!
Steve S

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings, Steve.
Glad you are still enjoying the SR Pro on alto.

I recently purchased an SR Pro for tenor; I'm awaiting its arrival in the mail. I won it on ebay. It doesn't come with a ligature. What ligature are you using on yours?

Hey, I saw Larry Leeds today to get some work done on my tenor and alto. It was your post that turned me on to him. Larry is a GREAT guy. He's so meticulous and his prices are incredibly reasonable. I told him that I got his name from you. He sends his regards.

Seems to me like it's time for another MD get-together. What do you think, Steve?

Warm regards, Tim

Are you gigging much these days?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,692 Posts
i tried one and thought they wer really nice. my friend played r/b on a ria for years . he is a great player to begin with and he recently got a sr tech fusion and now he sounds awesome. better than he used to.really bright and the altissimo he gets is killer. he uses # 4 reeds and the sound is amazing!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received the SR Tech Pro tenor piece today (.108 opening), and let me tell you that it is a KILLER piece.

It projects fabulously well. This piece is really powerful, yet it retains a nice warm tone. It has the best combination of projection and warmth that I have seen in a tenor mpc.

Also, it speaks so well on the low register--I mean really well--and it plays full, not at all thin, in the upper register and into altissimo.

It will be my main tenor piece. I still love my metal Link, but the SR pro is just what I've been looking for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now play a sr tech pro tenor 115 on my 10M and Superba 1 black nickel - it is a wonderful mouthpiece. Great body and depth to the sound and altissimo pops out very easily. I also liked the sr tech 115 fusion, but sent it back and kept the pro because the pro is more versatile, good for just about anything from rock to straight ahead jazz, just more depth to the sound. The fusion is a great mouthpiece though and will certainly get the job done, its bright but not overly so, I just liked the pro better.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Just got an SR Tech Fusion and I like it very much. Preferred over a Dukoff, a Lawton BB, a metal Bari and a metal Berg. As some say here, bright but not too bright and suprising body and warmth. More Texas tenor then fusion sounding to me. Recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts