·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But he may just be inspecting the work done by members of his staff.
Well the page did say he would be doing some of it while inspecting the others done by his apprentices, so I would assume you might be able to ask Ted to do it if he's not swamped with work.

·
1,397 Posts
When does Ted find the time to play the saxophone and the bass?
Ted makes a little time everyday to play music on saxophone, bass, piano, guitar, drums ..... and the list goes on. Without a saxophone in his hands, Ted would wouldn't be the same guy. I can't think of too many people that need music in their life so powerfully as Ted does.

As for anybody's interest in refacing, nothing leaves the shop without Ted obsessing over it with a fine tooth comb. It's like he says on the site " if I'm not proud of how it plays, then it isn't finished. " I think this statement says it all.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, and I think he's currently training our very own Sebastian.

Oh Sebastian, is Ted doing some of the refacing or is it only you?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
nothing leaves the shop without Ted obsessing over it with a fine tooth comb. It's like he says on the site " if I'm not proud of how it plays, then it isn't finished. " I think this statement says it all.
Judging by the two Focustones that I own, I believe that to be 100% true.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When does Ted find the time to play the saxophone and the bass?
Ted played the $&*^ out of the Alto Sax, Acoustic Bass, Piano, and Drums... at the BBQ party the Niewood's had on Father's Day...

... the reason why Ted's mouthpieces play so well, is because he plays so much music on them... He play-checks every piece for a LONG time...

Those initials T.K. don't get etched on, until he thinks the mouthpiece plays SO good, that he wants to keep it for himself.... Imagine the separation anxiety?:lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just picked up three vintage mouthpieces (soprano, alto, and tenor) that Ted refaced for me: absolutely marvelous work, probably the best I've experienced. All 3 play with a rich fullness from bottom to top, and are simply wonderful to produce music on.
Nice guy, and a master craftsman, indeed, and Sebastian is a good guy, too.
Highly recommended.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sebastion, I noticed a ebay mpc that you had refaced. I was amazed at how fast and well you have learned the refacing craft! It looked to me like top notch work and TK like, (obviously:) Your customers should feel safe having you helping TK.

The other thing that bears mentioning is that there's more than just me here!!!! I'm the only full-time, on-call, live-in employee here but there's a couple of other guys doing part time hours that specialize in other areas.

As for the refacing, I would be doing all the PREP work. That means getting things to size and putting a curve on etc .... that's a lot by itself when trying to set up a piece to TK's standards. Then ... Ted sits down and examines and if necessary, adjusts and perfects the things that only a person that has 30 years experience working for high level players can do. I've learned a lot, and I mean a LOT, but there are things that Ted can do that anyone who has seen him work will know are simply scary.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I always wanted to try one of those mothpeices, but around I cannot afford them.

·
1,397 Posts
Just an update to this old thread, but for anyone interested, Ted is all caught up with his refacing schedule and the wait time is only a couple of weeks. You can contact me at [email protected]

I'm pretty busy myself with all my other work but I have a little time for refacing as well. I think maybe the note on the website discourages some people because they only want Ted to do their piece and that is of course no problem. So far all the pieces that have been done have been Ted's work unless someone specifically asks me to do work for them.

SK

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,314 Posts
Just a heads up to those of you who havent been fortunate enough to have sebastians work on mpc's-----its excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts