Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Hey Mike,

When you saw these, they weren't even being offered on our site ... So far they've all been one offs. Francois Carrier ordered one in silver, Marc Phaneuf has one in bronze, and we just sold a few to Mokhwa Musical Instruments in Korea. I can't think of more than a couple other people that have one. They are the heaviest alto pieces I've ever seen and as a result they can really shake the horn. Keep playing dude, you sounded great yourself!

SK

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Sebastian, I was just curious because I had seen/heard it in person before it was on the TK website. It seems like a really unique design, I've never really seen an alto piece like it so I'd be interested hearing other people's reactions to it.

I actually just bought a Versitone Acoustimax C through the forum here and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I'm excited to play it, I was really intrigued when I tried it in June. I'll definitely post my thoughts when I've had a chance to get to know it a bit.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I just received a Versitone Handcrafted Alto piece in a .077" tip from Ted and Sebastian, it's early days, but I used it on one gig and two days of recording recently and I just have to say it is fantastic. It took me a few days to get used to playing a metal alto piece again, it's been ten years or more since I switched to Ebonite and Resin pieces, but now I have adjusted I find that this mouthpiece can do a phenomenal amount of colours with great ease. It responds incredibly well and yet it has a good firm resistance so it doesn't feel 'too easy'. I was recording a film score and had to range from very quiet, semi-classical tones to flat out honking and the mouthpiece simply didn't have any problems at all. I'm using it with Rigotti Gold 3.5 medium and light, no problems most reeds work straight away, and one of the new BG LD 'Duo' ligatures which is also teriffic.

It's a phenomenal piece, if you are tempted to get one, don't hesitate!

P.S. I'm thinking of getting a cheeky order in for a current Handcrafted tenor piece, can anyone give me a comparison between that and the Precision tenor piece? I know there was a discussion on SOTW about that very comparison but I can't find it. Thanks!

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts