Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone,

had a chance many months ago to get a TK Tonamax 7 and right now a 8* like the one played by Seamus Blake. Fantastic piece, really!!

The sound is tick, very centered and powerful, sometimes bright due to the baffle remind me the Florida EB.

Just wondering which is the most used reed on it in order to get a certain Seamus Bake kind of sound.

Right now I'm trying Rigotti 2 1/2 or 3 medium and Queen 3

thanx

Andrea

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Try the D’addario Jazz Selects. I have a friend who is a Seamus aficianado and was using those on his Tonamax 8* and the Seamus resemblance was uncanny.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANX Steve
fortunately i have some DJS unfiled in a 2H and 3M , 3M is too hard with the 8* but 2H is great, very very tock sound ala SB.

I do not have a chance ight now to try te Filed one, better Unfiled or Filed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Hi to everyone,

had a chance many months ago to get a TK Tonamax 7 and right now a 8* like the one played by Seamus Blake. Fantastic piece, really!!

The sound is tick, very centered and powerful, sometimes bright due to the baffle remind me the Florida EB.

Just wondering which is the most used reed on it in order to get a certain Seamus Bake kind of sound.

Right now I'm trying Rigotti 2 1/2 or 3 medium and Queen 3

thanx

Andrea
Last I spoke with Seamus he was using Rico Reserve 2.75 on his 8*. This is years ago when I was working for Ted and he was trying to make one that was like the "benchmark" first Tonamax that I made but Ted wouldn't sell! Seamus had them send a custom strength that seemed to work really well on the one he eventually kept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts