Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He just announced this piece on his page. I ordered one and I am really looking forward to it, arrives next week. Has anyone played it already?

·
Registered
773 Posts
The piece has been out for a little while. He ran a special on his Facebook page. I missed the special, but ordered one. I'v had it for about a week. Great piece with a focused robust sound. I'm loving it!!! I have and play on Ted's Precision and Tonamax, but this Florida model may end up being my main piece.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I got one of these as well a few weeks back for that special price. It’s definitwly making the ranks among my mouthpieces. I have been basically waiting for others to comment on SOTW as I spend time with it.
I had experience with Ted Klum pieces and didnt really get it to work perfect for me. This is different.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The piece has been out for a little while. He ran a special on his Facebook page. I missed the special, but ordered one. I'v had it for about a week. Great piece with a focused robust sound. I'm loving it!!! I have and play on Ted's Precision and Tonamax, but this Florida model may end up being my main piece.
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on how it compares to the Tonamax?

Please and thanks!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I ordered one. Hoping to receive it soon (hopefully within the next two or three weeks).

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on how it compares to the Tonamax?

Please and thanks!
TK's Florida HR has a profile like the Early Babbitt. That is, a steep drop from the barrel the the beak. So the beak on the TK's Florida appears thinner than the Tonamax, I've done no measuring. But it does feel thinner.

The barrel on both pieces is smaller in circumference than the "Standard" HR tenor piece. So they both take a smaller ligature (sames size)than the "Standard" tenor ligature. Ted supplies a ligature and cap with both pieces.

I use an Ishimori Gold plated ligature, as well as the Vandoren M/O Gold plated, and the Vandoren Optimum.

FOR ME...

The Florida is more focused/centered than the Tonamax, which has more spread and is less focused. When pushed, the Florida remains focused/centered, where as the Tonamax seems to spread more when pushed.

The Florida is brighter and has more edge (in a pleasant way) than the Tonamax, which is darker, not dull, but darker and a little tubby.

Both the Florida and Tonamax have a nice core to the sound, however I find it easier to shape the sound to my liking with the Florida. Tonguing and articulation seem faster on the Florida, and the altissimo note are easier to manage on the Florida as well.

On both pieces I'm using Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong and 3.0 Soft. I favor the Ishimori Gold Plated ligature on both pieces.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Has it a roll over baffle ? Or is it more of a straight one like the tonamax?
Forgot to mention that. TK's Florida HR has a roll-over baffle. Though I wouldn't say that the Tonamax has a straight baffle. The Tonamax has a roll-over baffle, but less baffle than the Florida.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FOR ME...

The Florida is more focused/centered than the Tonamax, which has more spread and is less focused. When pushed, the Florida remains focused/centered, where as the Tonamax seems to spread more when pushed.

The Florida is brighter and has more edge (in a pleasant way) than the Tonamax, which is darker, not dull, but darker and a little tubby.

Both the Florida and Tonamax have a nice core to the sound, however I find it easier to shape the sound to my liking with the Florida. Tonguing and articulation seem faster on the Florida, and the altissimo note are easier to manage on the Florida as well.

On both pieces I'm using Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong and 3.0 Soft. I favor the Ishimori Gold Plated ligature on both pieces.
That's all I've wanted from that piece, so happy to hear that and I hope it does that for me. I'm playing an Acoustimer II which is the same core geometry than the Tonamax (but only 30% HR) and it has these lacks you mention (while being an awesome piece) and they are even more negative on my spread and dark Martin Comm III ... I'm really looking forward to this piece (and hope the flat beak angle is ok) ...

·
Registered
773 Posts
That's all I've wanted from that piece, so happy to hear that and I hope it does that for me. I'm playing an Acoustimer II which is the same core geometry than the Tonamax (but only 30% HR) and it has these lacks you mention (while being an awesome piece) and they are even more negative on my spread and dark Martin Comm III ... I'm really looking forward to this piece (and hope the flat beak angle is ok) ...
You're gonna LOVE it!

I'm playing on a Mark VI, as well as a Reference 54.

·
5,878 Posts
Little Mushi, what tip opening is yours?

·
5,878 Posts
All my TK tenor pieces are 7*, .105
Thanks. Mine range from 7 to 7**, which is my regular opening (the latter, I mean). I enjoy experimenting with smaller tips/harder reeds combinations once in a while.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Forgot to mention that. TK's Florida HR has a roll-over baffle. Though I wouldn't say that the Tonamax has a straight baffle. The Tonamax has a roll-over baffle, but less baffle than the Florida.
Thanks , I've always found the tonamax baffle to be a little high near the tip... Makes it great in larger tips but for me too edgy in 6*_7 tip... Getting very tempted by this ....

·
5,878 Posts
Thanks. Mine range from 7 to 7**, which is my regular opening (the latter, I mean). I enjoy experimenting with smaller tips/harder reeds combinations once in a while.
Forgot to mention that my order was for a 7*

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
I haven't been at Ted's for some time but as far as I remember, this simply is not so. None of Ted's mouthpieces have a "roll-over" baffle. They are all flat. A rollover baffle is like a Meyer that's high just behind the tip rail or some old Links that have a small round baffle that transitions quickly into a flatter shape. It may be blended nicely into the secondary angle but it's flat. The pictures I've seen of the FL model seem consistent with Ted's way of finishing original Links of this period. You see this shape more and more now as a lot of people are emulating it in their own work.

Link Tone Edge pieces from the 50's and 60's often will have that small convex shape to give it some brightness but not by the early to mid 70's. Those shapes were much flatter and longer than their earlier Rolling brethren.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I haven't been at Ted's for some time but as far as I remember, this simply is not so. None of Ted's mouthpieces have a "roll-over" baffle. They are all flat. A rollover baffle is like a Meyer that's high just behind the tip rail or some old Links that have a small round baffle that transitions quickly into a flatter shape. It may be blended nicely into the secondary angle but it's flat. The pictures I've seen of the FL model seem consistent with Ted's way of finishing original Links of this period. You see this shape more and more now as a lot of people are emulating it in their own work.

Link Tone Edge pieces from the 50's and 60's often will have that small convex shape to give it some brightness but not by the early to mid 70's. Those shapes were much flatter and longer than their earlier Rolling brethren.
I stand corrected. But the baffle on the Florida HR that I have appears to be higher than the baffle on the Tonamax that I have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
I stand corrected. But the baffle on the Florida HR that I have appears to be higher than the baffle on the Tonamax that I have.
That looks about right from what I've managed to see. I'll bet it's a killer. I like the smaller chamber of the Tone Edge as well for a bit more core/mass to the center of the sound that I think so many people are searching for. That's also what makes hunting for the more elusive, great playing original for so many people i.e. the Perfect Link.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts