Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got experience of the TK alto pieces? The current ones on the site. Having owned a handmade silver Focustone tenor piece for a while and really liking it I'm interested in the alto. I had one of the old Ackerman lost wax Meyer ones years ago that wasn't happening but I'd like to try TK's own piece. I've never played a resin piece that had the same tonal qualities as good rubber but I'm still interested.
thankyou

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I once owned a Versitone. It had a great tone. The sound was dark and complex, with a very unique buzz. I only sold it because it was too resistant for me and I had too many alto pieces.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I have Ted Klum Versitone Acoustimax I'm doing a review of. I went over to Frank Klums house (Ted's brother) and tried about 20 alto and tenor mouthpiece I think. I liked this Acoustimax the best. It's a brighter sound than the Acoustimer's I tried. A good lead alto sound I think. I'll put up a clip and pics of it soon. Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
Has anyone got experience of the TK alto pieces? The current ones on the site. Having owned a handmade silver Focustone tenor piece for a while and really liking it I'm interested in the alto. I had one of the old Ackerman lost wax Meyer ones years ago that wasn't happening but I'd like to try TK's own piece. I've never played a resin piece that had the same tonal qualities as good rubber but I'm still interested.
thankyou
I also have a handmade silver Focustone tenor piece and I play on a Versitone Acoustimer alto piece. I've found it to be very reed friendly and it does pretty much everything I need.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Posted the review of the Acoustimax today. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/02/ted-klums-versitone-acoustimax-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece/ Hope it helps in some way. I might be able to do one on the Acoustimer too.
Hey Steve, Thanks for doing this review. I spoke to Frank on the phone after you'd been by and I think he had a great time hanging. Because Frank's so far away he doesn't get to take part in as much of the actually playing side of things, so having you over was a blast. I agree that the Acoustimax is a much punchier sound than the original VersiTone. This one's a totally different geometry and has a very special thing happening. I'll be organizing a passaround in the next couple of weeks for SOTW'ers!!!

·
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
My main alto piece until I got my Morgan Excaliber 6E, was a Ted Klum 0.080. Its not one of the pretty looking newer ones. Its basically a blank with TK and 80 etched in the side of it but it plays exceptionally well. The recording of Gellar's Cellar found in the link below has me playing the solo alto part with the TK mouthpiece discussed above. I also just added Boplicity and Almost Like Being in Love to the link. Both have me playing lead alto on the TK mouthpiece. It is very easy to pick me out too (the easiest saxophone to pick out in both tracks). Hopefully it helps you out some.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1143171

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got an Acoustimax in 77. What a great piece. Very even top to bottom and really resonates. I love the tonal properties of the resin and is the first resin piece I've really liked. I can't fault this piece at all..the intonation is outstanding. I'm using it on a 108... V1 with Superial 3's. The presentation is also outstanding with a good quality lig and cap. mouthpiece bag and patches.

Like the Focus Tone tenor I have it is very reed friendly.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi,
I have the chance to test the Focus Tone Acoustimer 107,108 and 110 on tenor and 2 0.80, 2 0.82 Acoustimer and 1 Acoustimax D on alto.
While I think I will buy the 107 for my Tenor as a backup MPC for my Custom Link Hardrubber, I am not quite sure on alto.
I played a couple of Ferling Etudes, then some patterns and some improvisation using the TKs, my Rousseau SJ7 and my Meyer NY model 7.
I can get the most versatile sound out of the cheap Rousseau, while the Meyer has the "certain" sound, if you like it.
I cannot find an advantage of the TKs, but I will try again tomorrow. I sorted out the Acoustimax, which does not sound good with my setup.
What brand of reeds to you use on the TKs?
I play Vandoren Classic 2,5 on both Tenor and Alto. As far as I understand, the .80 equals a Meyer 6* medium chamber and the .82 equals a Meyer 7 medium chamber, is that correct?
Greetings and thanks,
Mugger

·
Registered
442 Posts
I once owned a Versitone. It had a great tone. The sound was dark and complex, with a very unique buzz. I only sold it because it was too resistant for me and I had too many alto pieces.
Has anyone tried an alto Versitone Acoustimer mpc in a smaller tip .072-.075.? I would like to try one but I'm not a fan of a lot of resistance when playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I just played a VersiTone Acoustimax for about an hour or so, the "C" model which is around .077. I'm used to an .083/.085 tip on alto so I was expecting it to feel small but it doesn't.

I have it on loan from Marc Jean for a day.

I really like this piece, it's dark and fat, good overtones, good projection, articulates well. I'll use it tonight at a big band rehearsal to hear how it blends.

·
1,596 Posts
I got an AcoustiMax in a D(0.080) just a couple days ago and it's amazing. It's really responsive and has a great sound. sounds like a nice FAT MeYer with all the pop you need, and has a great intonation.

I'll post my actual review of this piece in a couple of weeks.

·
2,118 Posts
Got a chance to try an Acoustimax in the .080 tip opening. I usually prefer bigger tip openings, but it didn't seem too 'closed' at all - amazing what a good facing can do!

·
1,376 Posts
I would like to thank people for their positive comments concerning the new VersiTone Acoustimax. I used to play larger sizes on alto but I have a nice stock 'C' that really works well. Other than the typical great response and sound that you get from TK mouthpiece, this chamber configuration really makes it lock in for tuning. People that have played Meyers and found themselves trying to compensate in the palm keys will love the new VersiTone Acoustimax ... this is the sort of piece that you can push in far and just relax and let the sound happen!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts