Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried and/or seen these two mouthpieces? I'm wondering what the chamber differences are? Is it like a link, or horshoe etc.? Thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have both of these pieces in 80 thou tip. The chambers look identical to casual glance, they are Meyer style, what Ted Klum calls 'clear core geometry'. They are both excellent pieces; the Acoustimax is slightly more focused and slightly brighter than the Acoustimer (as has been noted elsewhere on the forum) but there's not much in it, I reckon a different reed would make almost as much difference.

You might be interested to note that these pieces come with a concave table as default, something that no one here has mentioned or discussed as yet. This did not work for me, particularly on the Acoustimer, so I asked Ted to remove the concavity, which he did with extremely good grace - I would always be nervous of asking an artisan to change their work - so I would like give Ted Klum a big vote of confidence as not only a master mouthpiece maker, but also for his excellent customer service.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
What do you think accounts for the price difference? Are they of equal quality?
Well, you should really read the notes on Ted Klum's website, and do a search for a post relating to this by Sebastian I think. However as I understand it, the Acoustimax is made in the first stages much more by machine than the Acoustimer which is total 'by hand', although the Acoustimax is hand finished. This allows Klum to produce them faster and thus cheaper. I would say that so far they are very much of equal quality, although the Acoustimax is harder material I believe (see Neff's blog). There are tonal differences to be sure, but not massive, but it's early days for me with these pieces and the slight difference in tone may be to do with a somewhat greater complexity in the sound of the Acoustimax. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the choice though!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
I have both of these pieces in 80 thou tip. The chambers look identical to casual glance, they are Meyer style, what Ted Klum calls 'clear core geometry'. They are both excellent pieces; the Acoustimax is slightly more focused and slightly brighter than the Acoustimer (as has been noted elsewhere on the forum) but there's not much in it, I reckon a different reed would make almost as much difference.
Just a quick clarification. These two have DIFFERENT chambers. Only the version made in Acoustimax features the clear-core and conical side-walls. Both of them have larger chambers than a Meyer Bros. NY.

As for the tables, it's true, Ted favours the concave table for a variety of reasons. That being said, you gave it the old college try to get used to it so it was no problem to take care of a customer that has two of his mouthpieces. Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just a quick clarification. These two have DIFFERENT chambers. Only the version made in Acoustimax features the clear-core and conical side-walls. Both of them have larger chambers than a Meyer Bros. NY.
Ok, thanks for the clarification; so far I do perceive a difference between the two, but as I have mentioned I don't find it a huge one, these pieces seem to me to be from the same philosophy.

As for the tables, it's true, Ted favours the concave table for a variety of reasons. That being said, you gave it the old college try to get used to it so it was no problem to take care of a customer that has two of his mouthpieces. Thanks for the kind words!
Thanks Sebastian, no problem, I feel Ted Klum's service was exemplary. I think these are extremely fine pieces and I'm looking forward really to getting into them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone should have warned me that this mouthpiece would make me reconsider all my other horn's setups...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
That's the problem with having too many horns.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I purchased a Ted Klum Acoustimax .08 from Saxccessories on eBay on the 9th of July. I HAVEN'T RECEIVED IT YET (umm, pardon me) but when I do, I'll chime in about how it plays with my new (old) Buescher Big B. I'm eager to hear how they work together and I hope it's as well as I imagine they will.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, I got my TK yesterday, and wow; it's everything I had hoped it would be. Coupled with my Buescher Big B I get this great, warm, vintage sound, and I can push it a little and get some edge: enough for what I'm doing anyway. Intonation on the Big B was excellent to begin with, and the TK Acoustimax did nothing to spoil that.

I tried several reeds on this piece - Vandoren Jazz 2 1/2, Legere 3 (way too hard, btw), a few Fibracell medium and settled in on the latter. I had one that did exactly what I had hoped it would do. Great top tones with this mouthpiece, too, and really, top to bottom, I couldn't feel more comfortable with a new piece than I do this one.

Aesthetically, the Klum piece looks great, and comes with a nice little bag. The lig and cap are very disappointing, considering the price point of these pieces, but the sheer quality of the piece far outweighs that one bad thing.

This piece is more than I expected. I don't know for sure yet, but I might have hit the mark on the very first try. Thanks to so many SOTW posters regarding these pieces. Knowing what sound I was looking for and reading through the posts I could find on here made the hunt pretty easy. I'l follow up after spending a few more hours with the piece, and the horn, which is also new to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got the acoustimax .77 for alto about 2 weeks ago and I'm still exploring it, but for the first mpc I spent more than 120$ on it was worth every penny and more. Excellent intonation, it can whisper or scream without losing its beautiful med tone (more dark than bright imo), and can be heard over guitars and a drum kit. As I get more used to it, I feel myself having confidence in the tuning (instead of seeing a mid D and anticipating lol) and it makes me sound great! Live or recorded, I love the flexibility.

I'm interested in what you say about it after A week, since it seems its the first big ticket mpc you went for, same boat so to say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts