Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only place I am aware of that deals in a lot of vintage horns is Wally's in Oregon City in the Portland area. Have any of you had work done on your horn at the shop?

I dont need anything in the realm of rocket science but I want it done well. My VI just needs to be gone over...a few leaks fixed, maybe a couple of swedges. It is not responding it the way I would like and it is starting to get on my nerves. I can address a few things but generally my personal horn tech work is hit and miss as I am not trained or highly experienced in this area. I also have more pressing things to do than to fiddle with a horn for hours and potentially make a bigger mess.

Im happy to hear thoughts, suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
465 Posts
Aaron Engum in Pendleton does great repairs on everything. Has real passion for vintage saxophone and clarinet repair. Check him out, I think he works out of his home.

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is quite a trek from the Salem Area. I need somewhere I can make an appointment, drop the sax and pick it up later in the day. It is not a mess, it just needs an hour or two of work by someone who knows what they are doing.

I need the horn to play mouthpiece I make. I cant keep the world on hold.

thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry, didn't know you were so far away. He's worth the trip though. He sorted out an early VI alto for me that kills now. Prior to that I was going to sell it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would recommend Jerry Porter, the head tech at Beacocks in Vancouver. He's done work repair for me in the past (leaks, minor adjustments...). Give him a call.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Beaverton Music had a pretty good tech when I was last in there. It was a few years ago now. She was certainly up to any minor problems I took there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
I had asked this Q of Jason Dumars several weeks ago....his suggestions were:

"...there are a few good ones here. I recommend Fred Vogel at Portland Music on Broadway as number 1. Number 2 would be Miguel Maldonado who freelances here. In a pinch you can go to Wally's Music Shop in Oregon City, but I don't dig the sky high prices or attitude there."

Hope that helps....

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had a few suggestions of Miguel. He is also willing to work with my tight schedule as I cant be without the horn for long. His flexibility and ease of approach counts for a lot. We had a pleasant conversation about horns and mouthpieces yesterday. I guess I best get an appointment made. He is working with me where I dont have to be without the horn for days. That is important since I need it to test mouthpieces.

Thanks everyone. I will tell you how it turns out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
He is also willing to work with my tight schedule as I cant be without the horn for long.

Boy, there's a thread topic. I can't get 'tech support' sometimes for a week or two.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
Please move there, Matt....

I well may be...and with me.... the stock of 100 fixer-uppers currently residing in my daughter's former bedroom ! That's why I had posed the question to Jason....

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
100!!!

For that many horns, I could rent a cottage an hour outside of town in the valley for a summer and just repair repair repair.

Hehe. We visited a few years back and loved it. Loved it loved it loved it. Still have a hankering to move there someday sooner than later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts