Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EWI has worked fine for a couple of years. Now suddenly when I play any note (in any octave, any patch) fron Eb on down to closed C I get a really bad growling sound. It usually doesn't start until after the first few notes are played, that is to say, I can turn it on and play a few runs using those notes and it is okay, but only for a few seconds, then the unpredictable growls come in. It happens whichever pinky keys I use, left and right side.

I found today that if I turn the reverb effect on, it stops the malfunction cold and all is well. I know that this is a workaround and hasn't fixed anything.

Does anybody out there have any experience with this sort of issue?

Thanks,
Gamemastermb

·
Registered
358 Posts
My EWI has worked fine for a couple of years. Now suddenly when I play any note (in any octave, any patch) fron Eb on down to closed C I get a really bad growling sound. It usually doesn't start until after the first few notes are played, that is to say, I can turn it on and play a few runs using those notes and it is okay, but only for a few seconds, then the unpredictable growls come in. It happens whichever pinky keys I use, left and right side.

I found today that if I turn the reverb effect on, it stops the malfunction cold and all is well. I know that this is a workaround and hasn't fixed anything.

Does anybody out there have any experience with this sort of issue?

Thanks,
Gamemastermb
Hi Gamemastermd, I have an ewi5000 so a little different but I had a similar problem. It all came down to adjustments so adjusting the reverb may have fixed part of the issue anyway rather than just masking it. I would have to dig my manual out again and read through it but I may loo have found the answer through Uncle Google. The end result on my ewi is that since I adjusted it and rectified the problem it has not returned and there has been no determination in other performance aspects on the instrument.

Good luck

·
Registered
603 Posts
Gamemastermb,
It's a year later, but hopefully you read this post. I have a 4000S and I have the same exact problem, but turning on reverb doesn't help. What was the ultimate fix on yours? I think, in the end I'll need to get it serviced, or just use an external synth module. The EWI works perfectly when using an external module.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,896 Posts
Gamemastermb,
It's a year later, but hopefully you read this post. I have a 4000S and I have the same exact problem, but turning on reverb doesn't help. What was the ultimate fix on yours? I think, in the end I'll need to get it serviced, or just use an external synth module. The EWI works perfectly when using an external module.
Doesn't the EWI have a growl effect? My guess is that it is being triggered somehow. Maybe take a look at the manual and see if you can turn it off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I haven't messed with the growl setting (wherever that is) or the touch sensitivity, to correct the problem. My EWI is setup optimally for my style of playing, and I'd hate to have to change anything. That said, at this point it's worth a try. I'm thinking it's a defect, because of two reasons 1. it only affects both little finger keys (especially C# and D#) although D is affected also 2. Something I didn't mention, the patches change randomly by themselves when playing these notes. With these issues, it pretty much means always using with a synth module, which as I said, works perfectly. If it will cost 300.00 - 400.00 to repair, I might as well keep it for synth module use (or sell it to someone that wants it for only synth module use) and get a replacement. I'd take a chance on a used EWI, but one where I can get a money back guarantee, in case of a defect. I just saw one go for 399.00 on eBay, and I suppose they can be found at that price.

·
Registered
603 Posts
CaseyReed, you were right on the money. I backed off the touch sensitivity a bit and all is well. I had it turned up full, because in the winter my hands are always dry and I get a lot of glitching. Turning it up full corrected that problem, but seemed to create another. Backed off a slight bit was all that was needed. What a simple fix. Glad you suggested it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts