Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. I like old clarinets. Most are Conns from the 1920s and 30s - metal and rubber, plus one grenadilla "gold medal" 446N that is probably the best of them. None currently play their best, but they have amazing tone quality and potential.

These horns have their own problems. Weak key alloys that break. Long abandoned
Code:
alternate keys no one bothers to regulate. Mystery intonation issues that would have made them unplayable back in the day, but that your average to good tech just shrugs off as "meh...student horns" when they weren't any such thing. Higher-end technicians who tell me they're not worth fixing and why don't I just get a Selmer when I already have three.

Who is knowledgeable AND respectful enough of such instruments that I can trust hi/r to get them playing up to their potential? I want to use them as I do vintage saxes, but they just don't have the reputation among craftspeople. Am I missing something...or are they?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Many 'modern day' techs have no clue when it comes to vintage clarinets. Many are so swamped with getting rental fleets up and playing that they don't want to take the time to work on something old that needs a bit of 'fiddling' with.
It's hard to find one that will repair every horn that comes over the bench with the same attention to detail that they give a shiny, new horn. BUT they are out there!

If you don't mind shipping your clarinets to Michigan I think Steve Sklar (a member here and owner of clarinetperfection) might be able to get them up and playing better than new.
Send him an email and see what he can do for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts