Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone given lessons to a family member? Especially one that raised you and has wanted to play for years, but has been more interested in loud squeaky sounds to annoy you so far.

So... my dad wants lessons. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I don't believe in formally teaching music (anything, actually, to family members). My wife has an aunt who is a classical voice and piano phenom, and she found that another teacher was more effective at teaching her son piano than she was. Subsequently, I sent my son to take sax lessons from a friend rather than teach him myself. I dunno....I just think formal instruction is more effective from a non-family relation. Can you point him to a friend? Play with him as he gains skills...absolutely. But the one to teach him? My inclination is not to teach family members.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess I would have two questions:
1) Are you going to charge him for the lessons, and
2) Is he really going to practice?

If he's going to take it seriously and put real effort into practicing, it's possible that it might work out quite well. If it did, it would be "quality time" of a sort that you really can't get any other way, and it might wind up creating memories that you'll really value someday. Maybe one way to put a little motivation behind that effort is for you to charge him just as you would any other student. Let's face it: there's a natural tendency for people to take things for granted when they're getting them for free.

On the other hand, if he's going to take it very casually, and he's not going to be paying you for the lessons, it may feel more like you're wasting your time and it's possible that you'll wind up pretty frustrated.

If it were me, I'd make him pay, and insist that he work hard at it -- although the truth is, if he just did the latter, that would be fine by me. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Did this man teach you how to ride a bike, basic car maintenance, drive a stick shift, hunt, fish, pee in a urinal?
The LEAST you can do is teach him the basics. Embouchure, hand position, how to put the reed on, adjust the strap, and a couple scales. Maybe even Mary Had A Little Lamb.
After that, give him the names of a few local saxophone teachers.
After that just be available to answer questions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, I'm not opposed to teaching him the basics. But after that, probably gonna recommend someone else.

I also need to help him spend his money on a good sax because he keeps just using mine. And I need mine! haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts