Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a jazz sax teacher in southern Ontario and Montreal. Pretty much anywhere from Montreal to Toronto.

That is all.
Any recommendations would be appreciated

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There are tons of great teachers in Montreal. I go to McGill and the teachers here who I know personally are great are Donny Kennedy, Frank Lozano, and Remi Bolduc - Remi is sort of the saxophone godfather around here. Of course there are lots of other teachers, many outside of the McGill community as well, those three are just the ones who I have taken lessons with or otherwise learned a lot from.

Edit: Oh man, post #1000 for me. I need to get off this website and practice. For real. :tsk:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There are quite a few good teachers in Toronto. Mike Murley, Kirk MacDonald, Ron Allen, Alex Dean...

You should google these guys if you are not familiar with their work. They are all good players who gig regularly. I think Kirk is teaching at Humber and I believe Mike teaches @ either York or U of T. I'm sure there are many more than these guys. They are fairly high profile. Check out the schedule at "The Rex". I sometimes go there to see either Mike or Kirk.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are tons of great teachers in Montreal. I go to McGill and the teachers here who I know personally are great are Donny Kennedy, Frank Lozano, and Remi Bolduc - Remi is sort of the saxophone godfather around here. Of course there are lots of other teachers, many outside of the McGill community as well, those three are just the ones who I have taken lessons with or otherwise learned a lot from.

Edit: Oh man, post #1000 for me. I need to get off this website and practice. For real. :tsk:
Thanks for the names! I'll have to do some research.
Glad the 1000th post was for a good cause!

There are quite a few good teachers in Toronto. Mike Murley, Kirk MacDonald, Ron Allen, Alex Dean...

You should google these guys if you are not familiar with their work. They are all good players who gig regularly. I think Kirk is teaching at Humber and I believe Mike teaches @ either York or U of T. I'm sure there are many more than these guys. They are fairly high profile. Check out the schedule at "The Rex". I sometimes go there to see either Mike or Kirk.
I've heard of Murley, I'm going to see him play in August in Picton actually, I'm pretty excited! I thought that he didn't teach privately anymore, only at the universities. Is this true? He's as of right now.
I'll have to check out the others.

And another question to add:

Do you know what skill level these guys are willing to teach? All I know is that I got into U of T Jazz Performance but due to some financial issues I can't go, so I want to take private lessons and bone up as a substitute, I work hard but I'm not really sure of my relative skill. I wouldn't want to go to one of these guys and have them say bugger off till you're worthy (or a politically correct statement in that vein).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm sure Mike is quite busy as are all of these guys. However, it doesn't hurt to touch base with them on their websites. Even if they are not taking students on a regular basis (eg. every Tues. fr. 7 to 8), they may be willing to take you on a couple times a month at a time they can work out with you. I suppose it depends upon how well you work on your own. Some guys need the "guilt" of making sure they have prepared their lesson well to keep pushing the envelope. Other people are self-inspired and can do amazing things without the need to "be ready for the lesson". The latter type does well with working out a lesson time rather than a regular schedule. I think the guys I listed could all give you reccomendations of great teachers who would take you on. Kirk has some very good connections at Humber. As far as the level goes, you might want to check out some information by Tim Price here on the web. He lists some things all good sax players should know. There is a wealth of skill that can be developed by following this guide in my opinion. It would certainly be a great thing to start on while you are waiting to hook up with a teacher. You could work a long time on this before running out of things to do. Here is a link: http://ricoreeds.blogspot.com/2011/05/tim-price-bloggin-for-rico-check-list.html You may also want to check out some of the online lessons by guys like Tim or Steve Neff. They could also be a good route to go while you are looking for a teacher. Take advantage of the time you have while you are young. The older one gets, the more most understand the most valuable thing we have is time. For many musicians, when you have the time, you haven't got the money and when you have the money, you haven't got the time. Make the time while you can. Good luck in your search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts