Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the following email yesterday. Little did the sender know that I don’t live in the USA. This is obviously a scam in the same vein as the Nigerian email scam, only this time it is aiming saxophonists.

----- Original Message -----
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:58 AM
Subject: LESSON TEACHER NEEDED

Hello,

I'm Mrs Rebecca williams from Paris,France.during my search for a Saxophone lesson teacher that would always take my son ( Christopher ) and I found you..Your advert looks great and it is very okay to me since you specialize in the area i am seeking for him... My Son would be coming to US (your city) Before the end of this month for a period of time and with his friend for 2 Months.he is just a beginner and he is 16 years old, i want you to help me teach lesson during his stay. So, kindly let me know your charges cost per week's ,in order for me to arrange for his payment before he travels down to your side. I have also made preparation for his personal equipment he will be using privately at home after the lesson during his stay.

Please Advise back on;

(1). your charges per 1 hour twice a week for 2 Months?

(2).The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week?

(3).Tuition address?

I will be looking forward to read from you soonest.

Best Regards,

Mrs Rebecca William

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I get a lot of these.

It's always the same M.O.
The key phrases to look out for are:

"you specialize in the area I am seeking"......unspecific.

"coming to your city" ........not saying which city.

"arrange for his payment before he travels down to your side"......one time payment for all the lessons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The smell of that scam is so intense, that even I can notice it here in Denmark..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,146 Posts
This is an old scam that has been reported on SOTW before. Essentially, where it's heading is that the person wants to send you a check for a year's worth of lessons but for some ridiculous or obscure reason they want you to accept a much larger check than that and wire them back the difference. Example: for $5000 worth of lessons, they will send a check for $10,000 and you're supposed to wire them 5 grand back. Of course by the time you and the bank have figured out the check is bogus, they've already got your money. This scam is run for all kinds of lessons, paying rent in advance, or purchasing an instrument to be picked up later when the young squire or fair maiden arrives in your city.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Perhaps another warning sign is the fact that she spells her own name wrong. Williams or William? You boil the tar, I'll get the feathers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
787 Posts
I've been getting a variation on this scam for years, even to the point that I put a warning on the "Jazz Teachers" page of my website. It's a shame that there's always someone trying to steal from folks. If they'd work as hard at an honest enterprise....

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson: Shaping the Blues Scale
Lesson Series:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
Aimed at sax players? I guess they ran out of pizza delivery guys and daycare workers. They sure are scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts