Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to their website (search for "TBB-150" at the Thomann site) Thomann TBB-150 Bass Saxophones have been "available since February 2021". Right now this model seems to be sold out ("Available in several months"), but since this bass saxophone model has a "sales rank", some saxes may already have been sold. I am very interested in this bass saxophone, so I am hoping that someone on this forum has been able to try it out already. If so, please share your experiences.

(I live in south Sweden and I have been to the Thomann shop in Burgebrach, Germany, twice - some years ago when I was visiting the nearby town Bamberg. I own a TBS-150, a baritone with low A, which I play tested and bought at Thomanns shop in August 2018. At home I have adjusted the height of the action on some of the keys for a more open tone, but apart from that, the TBS-150 has served me well ever since. I hope that the TBB-150 will give as much value for the money as my TBS-150 does. I also hope to travel to the Thomann shop again as soon as the TBB-150 is in stock.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
My understanding is that there are two factories making bass saxes in China. One a knockoff of the Selmer Super Action 80 design and the other derived from the Conn-Buescher design but keyed to high F. They'll print any name you want on the bell if you order enough of them. Thomann is a big retailer, not a manufacturer. The bass saxes labeled "Thomann" are one of these two Chinese basses, so if you figure out which one, you can find reviews of it, though it'll be named different things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, turf3! The TBB-150 may be just another Selmer copy from China, but I am still curious. In addition, the quality of the batches of instruments that are branded Thomann and sold by them may differ from the quality of batches sold by other suppliers.

·
Distinguished Member
1,242 Posts
I just received one of these and so far I think it's excellent. Plays from top to bottom without needing any adjustments so far. I tried one of the Chinese American style horns which was not nearly as good. If you're looking for a much more affordable bass sax, I'd highly recommend this one. It's the same instrument being sold by other retailers for prices ranging form 5000 to 10,000. And it comes with a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, John_Dikeman. I am glad to hear about the quality of the Thomann TBB-150 bass. I still plan to make a trip to the Thomann shop in south Germay and play test before I buy. I will have to check that my lungs are big enough for such an instrument. My original plan was to visit Thomann last week, but Thomann sold out months in advance and I guess that I will have to wait until November for the next batch to arrive. I am really looking forward to my trip and to report my impressions.

·
Distinguished Member
1,242 Posts
I will have to check that my lungs are big enough for such an instrument.
I would suggest that, for now, they probably aren't, and won't be until you start playing it. I have always used a LOT of air on all the horns I play, soprano to bari, but still getting the bass I need to work on breath support. But I don't think that's a problem, anytime you get a new horn you have to practice and learn how to breath differently. I'm already starting to learn that with the bass it isn't so much that more air is needed as that I need to be better at conserving the air. Flute is kind of similar in that sense.
But don't worry, it just takes time and practice. Or so I keep telling myself...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Also consider the kind of music you’ll be playing. On my bass it’s nearly all 2 beat trad jazz bass lines with plenty of space to breathe. I rarely play really long notes or phrases on it. My flute takes more air than bass sax. My only adjustment was more air support so I could nail big intervals going down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to both of you. I am still hopeful. And yes, to my surprise I found out a minute ago: Playing the lowest tones on my flute seems inefficient compared to playing tones that sound two octaves lower (and much louder) on my Thomann baritone :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts