Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Has anyone checked out "Tasting Harmony" by Greg Fishman ?
http://www.gregfishmanjazzstudios.com/tastingharmony.html

I was considering purchasing the download of the CD and was wondering what information/material was included in the book. Is the book worthwhile or shall I save a bit of $ and just get the cd?

Thanks
C.D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi compdisc!

I have the book "Tasting Harmony" It is worth every penny I paid for it! I wish I had something like this when I was growing up and learning how to play. The book is awesome. It has a ton of information especially in the first 15 pages. Greg has written several paragraphs on hearing and listening to chords and chord progressions and he gives practice options and suggestions on how to use the book and CD. You could just get the CD and just listen to and practice with it but you'd be missing out an a lot of information. I like having a visual aid where I can see the chord I'm practicing over. Once I start the CD and watch the chords in the book a few times then I close my eyes and listen.

I can't tell you how vaulable this is to me. I don't play the piano. I can pick out notes and play a chord but I can't play chord progressions in time. So Greg's CD is like having a piano player right here with me. I love being able to practice my "licks" and scales and hear how they sound against the chord. And it's really neat to beable to hear how each chord tone sounds within the chord. It's a lot of work, but this book makes it fun! I haven't really gotten past roots and thirds on major and minor chords. But that's okay, there's no rush!!

This book is a wonderful tool and it has become part of my daily practice routine!! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bebopking,

Thanks for the informative reply. I've been considering getting "Tasting Harmony" because I really like the other books that Greg Fishman has written.

I'm trying to decide which version of "Tasting Harmony" to get, the "C", "Bb", or "Eb". I'm leaning to the concert book, and then transposing any examples for tenor, alto, etc.

Anybody have experience with using the different keyed versions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Bebopking,

Thanks for the informative reply. I've been considering getting "Tasting Harmony" because I really like the other books that Greg Fishman has written.

I'm trying to decide which version of "Tasting Harmony" to get, the "C", "Bb", or "Eb". I'm leaning to the concert book, and then transposing any examples for tenor, alto, etc.

Anybody have experience with using the different keyed versions?
I have Bb but i really doesn't matter that much

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think it matters what key you decide to get the book in. Ninety nine percent of the time you will be using your ears anyway. Like I said, after I look at the written chords a few times, I close my eyes and use my ears. So get what you are comfortable with. I'm more comfortable looking at the chords in Bb becuase I only practice the tenor sax right now. If and when I want to practice the alto sax the same Bb book will work because all the tracks are played around the circle of fourths. So I would just start with the chord a fifth up or a fourth down. That would be my starting note and chord on alto.

For example, the first track is roots on major sevenths. In my Bb book the first chord for my tenor sax is C major 7th and my first note is C. So if I want to practice my alto I just start with the next to the last measure which is G major 7th with G as my starting note. Then I just play through the rest of the circle of fourths from there.

I hope this helps!! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
If and when I want to practice the alto sax the same Bb book will work because all the tracks are played around the circle of fourths. So I would just start with the chord a fifth up or a fourth down. That would be my starting note and chord on alto.

I hope this helps!! :)
Thanks! I didn't know that the exercises are all played around the circle of fourths. Makes perfect sense that one could use the same book and just choose different starting points. time to make the plunge! I want to get "Tasting Harmony" and some of Greg's CDs. I heard a cut of his on the radio and he is a great player as well putting out nice instructional stuff!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Greg is a fantastic teacher too. I have been taking Skype lessons with him for the past five months. He is the first teacher I've ever had that is getting to the core of making music and improvisation. The lessons combined with his etude books and jazz phrasing books are helping me reach my dream of becoming a jazz musician.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts