Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,782 Posts
It's your horn, do what you like. I heard steel wool works well too. Definitely gets rid of the tarnish, and if you scrub hard enough I'm sure it won't come back.
Good point, maddenma: it's not just what works, it's what works efficiently without damaging the finish. Tarn-X is acidic and will continue to eat into the non-tarnished silver plating if left on too long. To make sure that the acid is neutralized, the horn should be bathed in water with baking soda. Also, Tarn-X will corrode steel springs very quickly (don't ask me how I know). The silver plate usually looks hazy after Tarn-X requiring that a polish of some sort be used afterward.

I used to use Tarn-X as the first attack on badly tarnished horns, but I don't anymore due to the reasons above. I go straight to the blue bottle: Haggerty's Silver Polish. Lots of clean rags, a toothbrush, and even one of those battery operated scrubbers for the nooks and crannies. I cover the springs with bits of cork to reduce to number of times I get stuck. Wear nitrile gloves and some soft cotton gloves on top and you can polish with your fingers as well as a rag.

If you do bath your sax without removing the springs, make sure you dry them thoroughly since steel springs will rust inside the posts. Warm air from a hair drier can help speed things along. I apply WD-40 (WD stands for Water Dispersant afterall) or ordinary key oil to the springs at the base of the posts with a cotton bud, aka Q-tip.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts