Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of an odd predicament really. I recently had a tech put a new cork on the neck of my '27 chu, and once the old cork was off he was amazed how much the neck tappered at the end. So, while the horn plays great, I can't help feeling it might play better if I had it fixed. Also, at the moment I need a really thick cork to put a piece on it, which inevitably leads to a the cork becoming compressed. Which is extremely annoying.

I'd like to know what some of you would do. Is there much of a risk involved with expanding the neck? I would also appreciate if some of the chu berry owners checked the exact diameter of the neck's opening.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,983 Posts
W-w-w-w...wait. "Fixed" ???

I mean...that's the original spec of that neck, and it's the original neck, correct ? It's not like it has been damaged or anything ?

Because, when it comes to necks...you got length, bore, taper (some folks might use different monikers for the 3).

Alter one of 'em away from the original spec....that is a very, very, very slippery slope. To do it on an original Chu neck, without certainty as to what the result may be (intonation, tone)....oomph....

...those are odds I would wanna avoid.

I would almost suggest finding a PanAM horn or neck (pick up a whole darn horn for about $150 alto or $250 Tenor), since they were usually an exact tenon fit and the same length as the Chus...and alter that one (although maybe not...I think the bore on those is already wider at the top, therefore the taper is already different).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
It must taper. My alto is 13.56mm inside diameter at the tip and 12.15mm about a half inch in where there is a liner. This is for a standard tunable neck. If it is not deformed, I doubt it has been made smaller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alto, tenor, contrabass, sopranino?
oops... Duh... Its a tenor.

the thing is, its an extreme taper. The tech said it was beyond anything he had seen. Since this horn has been through the mill (as might be expected of the old girl), I'm not ruling out if its been altered. Maybe it got crushed at some point... Who knows.. If I had another Chu to compare it too I'd know for sure. But compared to other horns the boys around town are playing (selmers, yamahas, yanasigwa, a '45 10m) its a much smaller opening... Is this a reason to worry? It would be awesome if someone could post specs of their chu neck to relieve, or confirm, my fears.

if its as it should be, it does beg the question of WHY chu's have such a small opening and almost conical taper.

still leaves me with a cork that will always wind up hopelessly compressed... Its just too thick. Is there a solution???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
if you open the small end up you palm notes will sky rocket (pitch wise) and most of the short tube notes will get screwed up. A Chu tenor should have about .485" OD there. Yes they taper more than your typical modern horn.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
though I don't have a micrometer, the caliper is showing me the neck is about the right size, perhaps the slightest bit smaller. Been wondering if this is part of what sets these horns apart in terms of tone.. possible?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,983 Posts
Partially, sure...but again, neck and body are (usually) very fine-tuned to each other; so while I am sure that the Chu's neck does contribute to the tone, the body spec also would play as much a part.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts