Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bands that I play in still use paper charts.

What kind of tape do you use to join multiple page charts?

I have been using ordinary Scotch clear tape, but the joints soon split. Masking tape seems to work but is ugly and the adhesive sometimes leaks to where it is not wanted.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Use book tape. I remember there used to be a tape sold where I bought manuscript paper, but those places are gone now :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,570 Posts
I use scotch tape, but I double-tape it on opposite sides. That way it never breaks and doesn't get stuck on anything else.
+1 - and I leave a gap of about 1/8-1/4 inch to act as a hinge.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I still use scotch tape, but NOT the shiny (cheap) stuff. Specifically, I use Scotch Magic Tape. I tape the front side of pages, so when folded, the tape is on the up (reading) side. Yes, as George also stated, leave a slight gap to act as a hinge and so the sides won't bind when folded. Oh, I also use a length of tape that goes about an inch past each end and fold it over, which provides more strength and is less likely to start splitting.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I still use scotch tape, but NOT the shiny (cheap) stuff. Specifically, I use Scotch Magic Tape. I tape the front side of pages, so when folded, the tape is on the up (reading) side. Yes, as George also stated, leave a slight gap to act as a hinge and so the sides won't bind when folded. Oh, I also use a length of tape that goes about an inch past each end and fold it over, which provides more strength and is less likely to start splitting.
+1. The Magic or "invisible" tape works much better than ordinary transparent tape.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, folks. Some good advice here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,570 Posts
I've always used masking tape.
I played in the same band for 20 years, and saw some of my taped charts aged over that period - they do very well. In contrast, masking tape gets brittle and is not easily removed. It is also considerably thicker - something to think about when you have a book of over 200 charts.

I cannot recommend masking tape.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Scotch makes a medical tape found in most drug stores. I think it is called "micropore". it's not totally transparent but you can see through it quite well. This tape is strong and very flexible. I have been using it for years. This is not a plastic tape. It is a very flexible fiber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,056 Posts
The version of Scotch Magic tape that I was using must be different as it ages very quickly and I have had charts fall apart in just a couple of years. I have gone back to the standard version of clear (shiny) tape which is OK at the moment.

For charts that span more than two sheets I tend to tape the joins alternately on the front and the back so that they can "concertina" or hinge more easily one way.

I like the idea of leaving a small gap between adjacent sheets to allow the joint to act as a hinge. Do people do anything clever to align the sheets and leave the correct gap ?

Joining together multiple sheets of music is such a common requirement that I'm surprised I have never seen any products that let people do it quickly and correctly. Maybe there are such things out there .....

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,265 Posts
I played in a band where the charts were taped together with medical tape, probably the same one as mentioned by Pitsen3 above. It was the best tape I’ve ever seen for charts: strong and very flexible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What kind of tape do you use to join multiple page charts?
Check you local pharmacy. Look for the paper adhesive tape they use in hospitals. It's tough, very flexible, and the paper tape is compatible with sheet music. When applied, it's almost invisible. It's much better than scotch tape.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use clear packing tape. Thicker that Scotch tape. It's actually stronger that the paper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts