Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Some nice playing saxophonedaniel. You have a great base to work with. From my perspective, everything sounds a little too "straight." As you continue playing the style interpretation fits buch better. I suggest you listen to some of Astor Piazzolla's pieces if you haven't already to really get that style down and I'll tell you I've always had a tough time playing tangos. Just something about them has always eluded me, granted most of the ones I've played are in a jazz setting but some of the stylistic principles are the same. A few Piazzolla pieces that are personal favorites of mine are Escualo, Contrabajissimo, and Milonga Del Angel. Most importantly, when listening for style, listen to Piazzolla playing them HIMSELF.

Tone-wise it is a little difficult to judge completely due to the recording's quality, but it sounds good. Vibrato towards the end was very nice, but it sounded as if it took 3/4ths of the piece to get to that point. I've found that listening to a recording of me practicing and jotting down ideas for the next time I play has been quite useful. Some more dynamic contrast would be nice and refreshing to hear as well. Overall, some great playing.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Good advice from Lovano1239. Add to that: sounds like you are reading this as you are playing. Best to own any piece you play. This probably means learning it so that you can play without the music. This is also how you are going to be able to get beyond sounding mechanical and find the heart of this music. Tango is not about just playing the right notes, much more important to have feeling for what this music communicates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts