Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who still makes tallow based cork grease? I checked Herco and Vandoren, but theirs aren't tallow based. I have a small amount of Selmer cork grease in a small square tub that is tallow based. It must be 45 years old and there's only a little left in the corners. I have a small amount of Micro cork grease that is tallow based, but Micro says that it no longer makes the tallow based grease that came in a thick tube.

I use it for cork, but I also use it as fly line dressing. It outperforms every other fly line dressing I've ever used.

I just know that this will draw the attention of fly fishing saxophonists all over the world.

Operators are standing by...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I doubt anyone still uses the tallow, lanolilne and beeswax formula ( 1/3 each?). Some folks use lanoline only.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
I checked out one of my old beat up, but for some reason not discarded, clarinet cases and found an old push stick tube of Selmer cork grease from the very early 70's. There is quite a bit of it still in the tube. If you want to pm me an address, I will be glad to ship it to you. :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG! Deer tallow? I just checked Herco again. Herco calls it "deer grease". I thought that maybe I was missing something in the meaning. I've become inured to the idea of using cow and pig by-products in everyday life but DEER?!

That's Bambi! I can't even order duckling or battered chicken in a restaurant.

Anyone know what they make Gorilla Glue from?

No. Wait. Spare me.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt anyone still uses the tallow, lanolilne and beeswax formula ( 1/3 each?). Some folks use lanoline only.
I may have clear a lot of stuff from the shelves of my work shed before PETA sends the Animal Police to put me in jail.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I just know that this will draw the attention of fly fishing saxophonists all over the world..
LOL, yes prepare for the overwhelming avalanche of responses from that huge crowd of enthusiasts! I did some fly fishing in my youth and really enjoyed it; still have the fly rod sitting around somewhere up in the rafters of my garage.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
OMG! Deer tallow? I just checked Herco again. Herco calls it "deer grease". I thought that maybe I was missing something in the meaning. I've become inured to the idea of using cow and pig by-products in everyday life but DEER?!

That's Bambi! I can't even order duckling or battered chicken in a restaurant.

Anyone know what they make Gorilla Glue from?

No. Wait. Spare me.
Oh... Bambi and his relatives are SO tasty. I personally have shot, gutted, cooked, and eaten a few of them.
A nice thick venison steak smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms... Drool

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,938 Posts
Oh... Bambi and his relatives are SO tasty. I personally have shot, gutted, cooked, and eaten a few of them.
A nice thick venison steak smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms... Drool
Thank goodness you clarified shooting it. I would’ve guessed that you had flattened it with your truck as part of a kill and tenderizing process all in one. So what did you do with the tallow? Candles or soap? Or maybe we don’t want to know. 😳
Anytime you want to post your recipe for grilled fillet of Bambi . Feel free to.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?319498-What’s-Cook’n/page13

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you saying you can fly fish for saxophones?

Crap, I keep spending money on them!
Actually, parents who know me as a musician ask me about those tubes of Vaseline (or whatever it is) that are often supplied with new clarinets. I recommend the tub-type grease with the white opaque grease in it. It seems not to adversely affect the adherence of the cork to the tenon. But when I went looking for such a product, I couldn't find what I have always believed to be tallow-based grease. My instruments rarely need grease anymore, they fit together just fine.

JL: When I was playing full-time in New Orleans, if there wasn't a restaurant gig, Sundays found me out fishing on Bayou Gauche or fishing out of Happy Jack's in Empire, LA with other musicians. Among my circle of friends and acquaintances, there were very few who weren't both musicians and fishing enthusiasts. Dedicated musicians have the patience that it takes to sometimes sit and wait for something to happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts