Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hamilton Stage Rocker tenor sax instrument stand that I think is too short to hold the sax for me. Looking to buy a taller holder, but not one that is so tall as to be meant to play from. Maybe a foot taller than the short Hamilton.

The only tall tenor sax instrument stands that I can find are the Titan and the Hercules. Neither descriptions from sellers say how tall -- minimum and maximum -- each are.

Questions:

1. Anyone know dimensions of the two "tall" brands of stands?

2. Is there a better tenor saxophone instrument stand that I should know about, one that puts the top of the sax about a foot or two higher than my Hamilton stand? (The Hamilton stand puts the bottom of the sax about 6 inches above the floor.)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the saxrax tall tenor stand. It's absolutely fantastic. Not sure if they carry it as a regular item anymore but it's definitely worth calling them to find out. It's essentially their bari stand with a removable head sized for tenor sax so you actually can get two stands for about the price of one if you get both heads.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
There aren't too many stands made to raise a horn up just to knee height because generally it will make the stand less stable without providing much benefit. I'd love to have some taller stands like this for home studio use but on small crowded stages for gigs they wouldn't work well.

The Sax Rax is a good choice if you can get it and don't mind spending the money. I'd think about getting the tall "Titan" type stand (these are sold under many different brand names) and modifying it so the height range is what you want.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I saw Paul Simon’s sax player use a stage stand so that he could double ....it was a while ago...think it was a bari....interests me for my tenor...anyone tried this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another solution is simply to dig a short trench to a suitable depth with a couple of steps down. That way you can be standing in the trench and still use a regular floor stand placed nearby, but without the danger of toppling that the higher stands can be prone to.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
324 Posts
I do use a tall On Stage stand for support on tenor. As a matter of fact I practice most of the time with the tenor on the stand. Serves that purpose well.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Yeah the "Reply With Quote" button appears to be broken right now.

The stand that you linked to is the one a few folks in the thread are talking about but not really what the OP wanted as I understand it. There are lots of stands that that hold the horn relatively low to the ground and a few that hold the sax at playing height like the one you linked to. The OP appears to want something in between making it easier to pick the horn up from a standing position but not necessarily high enough to be used to play off of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts