Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To date, I've been using the basic music stand I chose because it was closest to the shop counter when I bought my Alto. I think it's a K&M 101 or such like.
But I'm 6'4'' / 1.93m I like to stand while practising but have always had to stoop a little when reading stuff - even more so if using a tablet...

So, finally, I spent some time on t'web and found the 101 is 1.225m max - and I probably over extend it a bit at the legs - making it even more unstable. Where as the 107 goes upto 1.470m and is much heavier duty...

So, that's an upgrade. It arrived today and is even taller than I need, which is great. And more solid, might even support the Chromebook's weight (3lb!) for a 14'' screen should I want.

... this does matter as I am trying to hold a good posture to improve tone etc.

So, really just FYI for any other taller learners who want something for the practice room.

Disclaimers:
I have nothing to do with K&M or such.
No doubt someone will say I should learn to play stuff without reading. sure. but sometimes I need to read also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,090 Posts
You did the right thing - don't want to get in the habit of hunching over to read the charts.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,748 Posts
I'm not quite as tall as you are (I'm only 6'1"), but I practice exclusively in a standing position, and I've used one of these as my main stand for the past 20 years or so.

They are built like tanks. I have a classic (non-collapsible) M48 Manhasset stand that I use for big band gigs (mostly for uniformity, and because stand lights attach more easily to it), and I have more confidence in the strength of the collapsible K&M 107. It's stable even with our full book (120+ charts) loaded on it.

I don't know why these stands aren't easier to find.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Another K&M 107 fan (1.94m) here! Five stars!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why these stands aren't easier to find.
Yeah. The online store I eventually sourced this from, went into a bit of a tailspin over this. I guess they had to get one in from the manufacturer, despite claiming "in stock".

Also, I had to switch from my varifocals to "computer" glasses to read stuff on it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,134 Posts
Got one too. Big help, though I’m still a miserable reader.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,491 Posts
One option would be to get rid of the music stand & sheet music, for the most part, when practicing and play as much by ear as possible. :) Unless of course you are practicing sight reading. Just a suggestion, maybe not very helpful...

p.s. I just re-read your OP and saw the last sentence. Sorry, I should have read it more carefully the first time through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts