Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some filler tracks on a CD of my music I was creating for mom, and dug up a few old tracks from a gig back in 1990. We basically supplied some cocktail jazz or background music at the old Philander's restaurant for this date, which was one of my earlier gigs. Funny, I hear myself holding back as I wasn't comfortable with having to play everything so quiet!

Interesting comparison to listen back as compared to my current approach. While I was practicing more, my playing wasn't too consistent and I was pretty young and naiive as far as what it meant to really play jazz... btw, Paul Kogut plays some very nice guitar throughout these clips...

Misty
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10807157&q=hi&newref=1

Recorda Me
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1122869&songID=10807158

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I just found a recording of a gig I did in 1999...on MiniDisc.

Heck, I can play 78s, I can even play radio transcriptions, but I can't play a %#¢!!ing MiniDisc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
When the %#¢!!ing %#!! was THAT?! I never knew anyone who had one. I never knew anyone who knew anyone who had one.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Late nineties. Fairly popular in some areas. I had both a deck and a "Walkman" type player. I've since burned all the contents on to CD's and await the next burst of digital obsolescence with 'bated breath.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Late nineties. Fairly popular in some areas.
I knew some folks who used portable MiniDisc recorders from time to time, perhaps about 10 years ago. At the time, I was debating whether to get an iPod or a MiniDisc deck (neither of which I ended up buying). MiniDisc deck had the advantage of recording capability, which I thought was cool.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after struggling a bit with the horn latley, was listening back to a few old demo tracks when I was playing a good bit of alto... thought I'd link them didn't recall if I shared these before

the influences on this "original" are most obvious...Bobby Timmons This Hear meets Phil Woods Willow Weep for Me. Fun one to play!
Hear This! ('91)

One of the many Brazilian standards we played with our "cocktail samba" group...good times!!! (I still love playing in this style!)
Wave ('93)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure if anyone was following this one, had an old rehearsal tape that I never got around to doing anything with...with the exception of recital and big band tapes from college guess this is the earliest recording I have.

Definitely some youthful exuberance here in this recording from around May 1989. I'm on the alto and take the first solo...I vividly remember what a difficult time this was as my father had been gravely ill. (This was just before immediately after he passed). Hard to believe this was 23 years ago!

All Blues

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not to steal the thread but: paulwl, if you need your recordings badly, send me the disc, I'll put it into an MP3 (or other file format of your choice) - or on tape :) btw. later MiniDisc recorders weren't that bad - they did use an ancestor and close relative of the most sophisticated AAC algorithm around today in the later days (after using a Sony home-brew at first), could be much worse! The real unpleasantness was using DAT - in spite of the superior sound quality... mangled digital tape? Forget rescuing it...

fsaxwas9: Definitely worth having dug those up!

M.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Hi Shawn. Especially liked "all blues" and "hear this". You seem to push out and break free on these with a confidence and stong voice that still speaks across the decades. Nice to have a memory lane to walk down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts