Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a silver R&C soprano: has anyone owned one of these for seveal years, and if so, how hard is it to keep it untarnished?
I know about the 3M strips and general care, but would like to know how much time I can expect to be spending on this issue?

Thanks, Leon

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kinda on the same topic, do the 3m silver saver strips really work?

·
Registered
342 Posts
"Elbow Grease," if only it was sold in a bottle.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Simon Weiner said:
UHHHH UMMMMM I SELL THAT. 5oz BOTTLE FOR $39.95 How many would you like?:D :cool:

Just because it looks like Vasoline doesn't mean it is.:twisted:
...Just need your credit card number.

And being from New York I bet you got a bridge to sell me too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
jmartin said:
Kinda on the same topic, do the 3m silver saver strips really work?
Actually they do, to an extent. (I use the Haggerty branded kind.) Still better is to wrap your horn in silversmith's cloth.

You may want to read this thread and the link I posted there.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
jmartin said:
...Just need your credit card number.

And being from New York I bet you got a bridge to sell me too.
Yeah I do. Wht you lookin fo? Old OR Vintage or Just new? Aint got to many of the last, but for you guy.... Ill do my best. How yous Doin?:D

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, more than I ever want to know. Bottom line, if I take good care of the horn (strips etc.), will a major cleanup be a yearly thing, monthly, how often?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
segaleon said:
Wow, more than I ever want to know. Bottom line, if I take good care of the horn (strips etc.), will a major cleanup be a yearly thing, monthly, how often?
It really depends on your environment. For example, people living on Islands near the equator have a heck of a time with bare-metal saxophones, but I guess that's a trade-off they don't mind...

If you take care of your horn (silversmith's cloth, strips, etc.,) and have "reasonable" environmental issues, and you use a "little" elbow grease every 6 months or so, you will probably not need to send if off for a major clean-up for several-to-many years. You might not need to send it off until you're in need of new pads.

If you do the bare minimum (just strips for example), you may need to send it off every 12-24 months depending on your level of comfort with the tarnish that's starting to build.

...it's very subjective.

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Sounds reasonable, and a small price to pay for a good sound and good looking horn: I know some threads here end with "It's all about sound", but beauty is multi-modal... Thanks again for the tips.
Leon

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Also depends on the quality of the silver plate. I've got a Chinese made flute I bought for about $200 that plays great, but it turns brown in about two weeks. I also have a 1938 Keilwerth that has been on my stand for a few months now, and hasn't developed any tarnish I can detect.

Those 3M strips do work, provided you change them every few months. They only help though- they will not keep your horn from ever tarnishing.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
If your silver-plated horn tarnishes, get some silver-polishing cream from a music store and that will make it look like new.

If the tarnish is really bad, I'd recommend a metal-polishing paste (it looks and feels like toothpaste) called Autosol. This thing can remove a lot of dirt and what not from metals, plastics, and almost anything that needs some polishing.

After using Autosol, I would recommend using some silver-polishing cream (Yamaha, or Towntalk brands).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
If the Autosol you can buy is anything like what I bought in the UK, DO NOT use it on silver plate!!!!

It is great as a metal polish on bare brass, copper and chromium plate, but is MUCH too abrasive for silver...... unless you really wanted a copper horn and wish to remove the silver ;)

Also best not to use anything, such as cream, which is likely to get into the nooks and crannies..... try an impregnated silver cloth, and cotton buds/Q-tips for the fiddly bits.

Too much trouble for me..I want a 24k plated horn next :)

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
I emphasized that if a horn is really badly tarnished because of its old age, the Autosol can get the rust and dirt out. I have used it on several old, beat-up horns (including trumpets), and it really revitalized their looks; it did not peel the plating as you have suggested.

Silver cream is fine, but not to be used all the time - as long as one keeps cleaning a horn after use everytime with a clean cloth. Every two months or so, when I notice that my Leblanc clarinet gets a little purple on its silver-plated keys, I use a little cream, and it is shiny like new again.

Each to his own! I have only shared what works for me. If you don't like it, don't do it, but there is no point making fun of a sincere suggestion, OK?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts