Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I resurrected my "jazz workshop" at a local coffee shop, the Barking Dog here in Sonoma . I took my soprano , Ipod docking bay ,some aebersolds and just jammed for 90 minutes. I have some publicity going out about this dropin Jam Session with the local newspaper and a local broadcast radio . My goal is for anyone in the community to feel free to jam or play music in any style that they want out of their garage/livingroom/wherever . I think for awhile it'll just be my students and some coffee people but hopefully it'll grow into a real band. I tried this at a church years ago but it didn't work at 6 on a sunday so Im hoping that I can get the word out. I think it'll be all ears. No music and we can stop and discuss what is going on harmonically if needed. so its a learning , getting out and playing opportunity. Guys , if you're bored take your ipods out and get the music out to the people. Take care. K

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Sounds great to me. I went to something along similar lines yesterday, and spent about five hours just playing with different people through the afternoon. Great venue too, a fitted out old firestation. Made a few contacts took down some phone numbers etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
Cool...
I wish people around here would get into that kind of thing...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Sounds great. But something tells me places with lots of musicians are going to have anti-busking ordinances in place, to make this kind of activity a disturbance of the peace.

·
Registered
38 Posts
that's actually a really good idea. i think thats how music should normally be in real life, you know? just like saying hello or shaking a hand. included everywhere in life, without any barriers or fears of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i really like that. it would be great to hear about your progress, and i think this is also something that will keep music going and keep people interested in genres other than whats being played on the radio and what not. sounds like a ton of fun! :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Props to you Keith, wish someone would do that here. Poker machines have killed the music scene

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weird, last saturday was fun. This Saturday with even a plug in the Whats happening section of our local newspaper nobody showed up? Just the ususal coffee drinkers or people studying. But I put on my Ipod and did 90 minutes of playalongs on sop and alto. One good connection was that the Mayor of Sonoma heard me play and gave me the number of a local jazz pianist. But it really brought home to me that even after playing in various bands for 15 years around here I am still a "sideman" and dont' have much of a name. I thought that by putting the word out and the newpaper that a few new kids or adults would show up. I spent alot of yesterday afterwards amazed at how a guy like Sanborn could fill a local 20,000 seat evert. I'd settle for 20. Or even better some people that just wanted to jam and learn to play better. I'll rethink this and see how I can tweak it to make it better. Or maybe this area that is over half retired, huge hispanic pop and basically not into jazz ( the "famous" yearly jazz plus concert has name pop or rock acts). Whatever, I don't give up easily I'll find a way to fill a need. If there is no need then I'll stick to just doing private lessons and the schools but I really wanted to do a "jam"> K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
The jams that have a lot of people roll through around my area all succeed because they keep at it for a long time. The longer you keep it running, the more people there will be who think of it as a spot to drop in and jam for a while and keep things moving. You'll also get regulars, both fans and players. Think in terms of years. The second year will be better than the first. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
868 Posts
gotta agree with dan. evaluating after 2 weekends is unrealistic. ya gotta give it time to grow on everyone's realization. also, it might help to have more than one person (yourself), even they aren't the best. a one person show always seems a little 'closed' or unapproachable. one technique you might employ (with more than one person) is having folks tag in and out... a visual suggestion of players getting in and out of the jam.
i bet there are some jazz lovers out there - prolly feeling deprived. 2 sessions just aint enough time!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great idea Keith,

Wish we had this sort of thing around here, I live in the countryside even our local Jazz club is just about to start jamming nights at the local Pub/Bar

I'm suprised with your connections and experience this should be easier than the reality you've had.

Keep up the good work, music for the people by the people.

Cheers
Jimu

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Two weeks does not a jazz destination make. But if you can get it to catch on it is absolutely worth the effort. Patience. Call the piano player. And if you improve the days of the coffee drinkers, who says that is time wasted? Who knows who you will meet next week?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts