Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second post here of my music. Last time I had a comment that I need to be more melodic and repeat more notes. I am now conscious of repeating notes and phrases. I've been playing about a year and a half now and I was having a problem getting the sound I wanted but recently I switched to a Caravan mouthpiece, Vandoren Optimum ligature and Légère synthetic reed. Now I get a sound that I really like and it's more consistent.

The Caravan mouthpiece has a very dark tone so I do not need to use my Rovner Dark lig anymore.

This piece is mostly piano. If you just want to hear my sax playing, skip to the last 20 seconds because that is sax with no other instrumentation in the background. When I am more confident, I will do one which is mostly sax or more sax. I realize that the long piano solos are a bit much for many people to listen to even after I have cut it down from twenty minutes to twelve.

It's called "Photosynthesis" because it is inspired by my recent experiences with nature.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/differencetone/DT_Episode_7.mp3

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It took a very long time to load...I guess it is a big file. I assume that is you on piano as well?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well you can certainly tell that you have some chops on the piano...as for the saxophone, the haunting, playing-in-the-fog-like reverb really gets in the way of listening to your tone, phrasing, and style. But for one and one-half years of effort, you have certainly come much farther than many other beginners I have heard.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I will remix it and back off the reverb on the sax depending on what people say. It could be I am insecure about my playing or I'm just trying to blend in with the piano. I am very heavy on the sustain pedal usually.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to remix it without the muddy reverb on my sax so you can hear my mistakes now, also fixed some other things. I took out the compression too.

It's good to rest a day before mixing. It's up now under the same link I posted.

Well you can certainly tell that you have some chops on the piano...as for the saxophone, the haunting, playing-in-the-fog-like reverb really gets in the way of listening to your tone, phrasing, and style. But for one and one-half years of effort, you have certainly come much farther than many other beginners I have heard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts