Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done the searches and found out a bit about these horns but the posts are from 2017 and older.

Is anybody who have purchased one from that period still happy with their purchase?

Does anybody know if they have improved since 2017?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would also love to know and am getting closer to considering buying one and doing my own video/review. Though I'm a beginner and don't have anything or much experience to reference against.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also love to know and am getting closer to considering buying one and doing my own video/review. Though I'm a beginner and don't have anything or much experience to reference against.
After an exhausted search I have come to the conclusion that Chinese bari's really are not on the same spectrum as vintage bari's and that although they work I don't think I would feel much pride in it and be disappointed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
I bought mine some years ago, and are still using it. It needed several modifications before it became the way I wanted it.
I am much more satisfied with it now than at the beginning. Not pair it with a vintage, but with newer ones, such as Yani and Selmer. I use it on professional live gigs and for recordings in studio.

What I don't like is that it has a "medium" bore like Yani and Selmer - and I play big bore Keilwerth tenor, alto and soprano . I have tested many other baritones over the past two years, all the famous brands, some from China and some from Taiwan. The only one I found I would rather have had was a bare brass Conn-Selmer with larger bore.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
A friend of mine bought one about 5 yrs ago or so (low A). He loved it, but, he goes back to his trusty B 400 over and over (low Bb).

Taishan is a fine player but just doesn't sing out or have the color/character of tone. That might be the low A aspect, but I think its more than that regarding basic design and tonal concept or ___________. Maybe its the old bombshell casings used in US vintage horns ; )

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOLOL bombshells

I came to same conclusion after listening to a whole lot of really bad videos on YT. Besides I wanted a Low B because the exact reason, TONE.

I decided to take the plunge and purchase a Keilwerth Stencil mid-60's which was not much more than a chinese bari.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts