Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first tenor and recently talked to Dave Kessler at Kessler Music about the T901. He told me that the T901 was light, bright and reponded easier than the T991. But then went on to say that nearly everyone who play-tests both of them in his store end up with the T991. He said that if they would pay the price for the T901, then the T991 was "only 25% more". I've never played either, but was drawn to the Yani's because I wasn't impressed with the Yamahas I had tried in the past, and the Keilwerth's were out of my price range.

I'm fairly new to the sax, having just picked up my alto 4-5 years ago. I play contemporary/smooth jazz, so Dave said that I would need to switch out the included "classical" mouthpiece that comes with either Yani, for a metal Yani, to get the sound I want. I'm in Florida and can't find a dealer down here that stocks either of these, so I would have to buy one and use the 3 day return policy to test it out.

Any comments out there from you who have played both and chosen one over the other? Obviously the T901 is closer to my budget comfort level than the T991, which would be over $3k. But, down the road, one forgets about the outlay and thinks more about the results.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Get the 991; Yani's tend to have clear, bright tones to begin with, but the 991 will give you that extra little richness in sound that you'll want when playing those sexy smooth jazz ballads (think Euge Groove on his "Slow Jam"--though there were talking 92,xxx Mark VI--a horn that is much richer sounding than any Yani ;-).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Ive owned/played a 901 alto and it sounded and performed great! The only issues I had were the cheap look and feel - light colored lacquer, minimal engraving, cheap feeling touches, lightweight 'feel'...

My t990 feels much higher quality in comparison even if minimally behind my 82z, believe it or not.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Go for the 991,if my cash and a choice between those 2 i would get the 991,it just sounds atad more full and rich compared to the 901.There both fine horns but the extra spent is worth it for me and if you got the 901 you would have that nagging feeling in your head saying,i should have got the 991.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
From my experience, build quality and general construction are better on the 99x horns. My 88x and 99x personal horns have been some of the most rugged, easy-to-own saxophones I have ever had. Haven't ever owned a 90x for long enough (had a B901 for a while, but then scored a good deal on a nearly new B991 and never looked back).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I ended up ordering a YTS 62 II because I had a chance to play-test one and couldn't do that with the Yanis. Also, there was very good holiday sale that dropped the price by over $400. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts