Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the T880 is a more open-bore, "vintage" design compared with the later Yanagisawa models. (?) What's a good mouthpiece for a horn like this to help with providing stable intonation? Is a large chamber necessary? Thanks.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
Brian's right. I don't think your MPCs are causing issues, as those Yani's are great horns, especially intonation wise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I played 2nd alto in a big band with an excellent lead tenor sitting next to me on an older 800 series Yani. He had very good results with off the shelf Otto Link hard rubber pieces. I never really talked gear with him, but I did notice one of them had a slight tip baffle. Not a big step baffle, but a very slight flat area behind the tip rail like you see on some modified HR Links. I just happen to notice it when he switched to it between big band and combo. The combo used electric bass and keyboard and I think that mpc helped him with a slightly louder, crisper sound. For big band, he just stuck with the standard HR Links, and he always got a gorgeous full sound (probably more to do with how good player he was than equipment)

The other two posters are right though - anything you end up liking in your mouthpiece hunt should work on that particular tenor. There was nothing magic about that lead tenor's combination of horn and mpc, but the bone stock Otto Link HRs are a good jumping off point, even if they have a reputation of being inconsistent in quality finishes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just spent the last few days going thru several tenor mouthpieces on my 880. I tried a wide variety and they all sound great on the 880. No reason I can think of for any particular mouthpiece to not work well with an 880. On the dark side of the spectrum, I really enjoy the GS Reso 7* FG from Get-A-Sax and on the opposite end of the spectrum I like my Lawton 8 or my Guardala. But I tried everything from plastic to hard rubber to brass to stainless and tip openings from .075 to .125. The 880 is a great horn!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Matt says they have a warmer sound than the later ones which he says are a bit more bright and focused.
Please notice, Matt recorded this video in year 2011. He was comparing 8xx and later, 9xx models. There was no T-WO series yet.

I'm very curious - does T-WO2 sounds better than T880? More "vintage"? I've heard T-WO series sound is more "vintage" than 9xx models sound and this is why T-WO2 is on my short list. Could someone compare T880 vs T-WO2, please?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have been playing an T-880 since the mid-90’s and love the horn. I played a stock metal link 7* for many years on it. This was mostly when I was playing in rock bands etc. and needed a little more volume. When I stopped playing weddings, etc. I went to a hard rubber link 6* and love it. I would say good a decent link style piece in a tip opening you’re comfortable and you’ll be set. I tried some other pieces that were medium chamber to get more focus but going down in tip size did the trick with that as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
EDIT: I just realized I already responded to this thread long ago -- haha - I'll leave this here anyway though /edit

I have a T-880. Intonation is superb with any of my mouthpieces. I've got a wide variety of tenor pieces and they all play great on it.

Here are some pieces I have that all play great on the T-880
Metal High baffle, aggressive pieces: Sugal (.125), Guardala (.125), Berg Larsen (.115), Brilhart (.120), Lawton 8*BB
Rubber, aggressive: JumboJava T97
Metal piece not so aggressive:Lawton 8
Rubber pieces with larger chambers and darker sound: GS Reso FG Special, Vintage Meyer 8

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
One thing I like with Yany tenors is the metal Yany MP.
Mine is a 9*. You might not need that much, but I like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts