Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm considering buying a 2nd hand T-902, I'v seen a few but unsure of what price is reasonable and, what other than a Yamaha 62 might be comparable. Also, is the age of these more modern 2nd hand instruments important? I saw a T902 that was 10yrs old which seemed ok. SO MANY QUESTIONS!! Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great sax. I prefer it to the YTS62, but that's just personal preference. Pretty much al saxes at this level are good, and the preceived differences are often just down to the indivual player's taste. Condition is more important than age. At 10 years old it should be fine, but check all pads carefully, especially the left palm keys. If the pads are OK, the springs all good and springy and all rods move freely but without excess play at should be a good sax.

As for price, it all depends on where you are and where it's for sale. A sax sold with a warranty from a reputable shop may go for 30-50% more than a private sale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
What Jon said.
The 902 is pitched directly at the 62 (675) and in terms of build quality and feature the two horns are evenly matched. It will boil down to player preference.
A 10 year old horn that's been reasonably well cared for will barely have been run in. If it's seen a lot of use then a decent service will bring it back up to spec.

I've just done a review of the 902 soprano - completely different horn, but the features and build quality are shared with the tenor.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Sop/yanagisawa_S902.htm

Regards,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, these guys gave you great advice. However, if you haven't bought your horn yet I suggest that you get in touch with SaxForte. I just bought a new T-902 from them for under $3000. I love it. I also ran across a pristine Gold Plated solid silver neck which makes this rig the best I've ever played. I use a very nice early Babbit STM that Brian Powell worked on for me. In the recording studio & live through a nice PA this is the ultimate. Also, both the bronze & GPSS necks make a huge difference on my old backup Yani tenor as well. Over the last few years I've had Mark VI's, Super 20's, Yamaha 62's (80's & late 90's) & a Yamaha 82Z UL. The YTS-82Z UL was a great horn. But, I've finally landed on what works best for me (that's the key). Good luck with your saxes and enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts