Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
List price for my horn is € 2000 but I paid a mere € 1600.
For a high spec tenor sax with a phenomenal sound I find that a bargain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re : Re: System '54

Hello Bruno,
Where did you buy your saxophones System'54 in Belgium. I am a drummer but I also learned the sax in my youth. I like to buy a black baritone. The baritone saxophones are they in stock. You can answer me by private message in French (it's easier for me if there is google!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just a small update on my System '54 Superior Class Power Bell tenor saxophone (phew, quite a mouthful :bluewink:).
Last week I did my sixth grade exam on it and apparently the jury was very impressed! 97% and they all thought I was playing a Selmer Reference... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Roger,
i tried system 54s altos and i liked them very much..i like them better than p.mauriats (sound,ergo)..
i am thinking about buying one..i am from czech republic..i am still wondering how it could be comparing to the phil barone horns..
please if you could mail me - [email protected]
thanks.martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Goodnight sir, my names Arthur, i'm 21, i am french . I am interesting to buy one System 54 superior class tenor ( antique gold ) saxophone . what is the price + ship in france ? regards

Arthur

·
Registered
2 Posts
Goodnight sir, my names Arthur, i'm 21, i am french . I am interesting to buy one System 54 superior class tenor ( antique gold ) saxophone . what is the price + ship in france ? regards

Arthur

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Testing a System 54 bare brass power bell R with the solid silver neck tenor.I blew a vintage gold model with the standard neck a while back and like it alot but this UL silver neck 54 is nicer.Very free blowing horn which i like.Very big in ya face tone.Ergos are very slick and close.Testing along with a great MK VII tenor and while the selmer has that selmer core vibe and this 7 would be a 1st choice for softer jazz gigs the 54 ul would be my loud full on choice.Should i keep 1 or 2.I think both.Greedy i am.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Gigged the 54 a few times now and spent plenty of time on it and its a cracking piece of kit.Power is fantastic.Alot in the mauriat 66rul vibe but i think more flexible.Worth checking out for sure.Looks stunning also.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Still loving the 54ul.Plays so easy.Cracking horn for the money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a small update on my System '54 Superior Class Power Bell tenor saxophone (phew, quite a mouthful :bluewink:).
Last week I did my sixth grade exam on it and apparently the jury was very impressed! 97% and they all thought I was playing a Selmer Reference... :D
Hi Bruno,

it's been a while since you bought your System 54 Tenor now. After a couple of years' use, how is it coping?

I tried out a lot of Tenors before I bought mine, amongst them an Antigua with black pads that was about the same price range as the System 54, and I was very impressed. It played as well as some much more expensive models, and certainly seemed a good tough construction. In the end I went for a Yanagisawa because it blew me away, but that's beside the point.

I'd like to know how well these upper-market Taiwanese instruments stand up to wear and tear, especially if the mechanisms stay tight or if they start developing a lot of slop.

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about getting a fairly decent Soprano when I come back to Europe for a break this summer, but where I live out in Africa there is absolutely no way I can get any maintenance done, so I'd be limited to yearly trips back to Spain/the UK to have any adjustments made. I need an instrument that'll handle a bit of travelling and hard use.

Cheers, and enjoy your horn.

Eddy

P.S. I was in Belgium about four years ago on a family visit to Ghent, and by pure chance a Jazz band turned up at the restaurant we were eating at, played a few numbers while walking round between the tables, had a quick whip-round, and left. They were utterly fabulous. One day I'll make it back to Belgium, hopefully for the Gentse Feest. You live in a beautiful country Bruno, you're privileged.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's great!! :cheers:

I've been playing it for almost a week now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. A warm and full sound, great ergonomics and seductive looks. I know that last bit shouldn't matter, but it warms my heart to open the high quality (embroidered!) case and see it lying there.
In the orchestra rehearsal (the very night of purchase!) I had more 'presence' in the music without standing out, thanks to it's smooth tone. This saturday will be the first quartet practise with the Superior Class, I look forward to it! :)
I've been practising for my public exam (coming May) and my neighbour told me he absolutely loved the music and always regretted when my practise was over. :cool:

For the moment I'm still experimenting with my set-up to get the best out of the horn, but it can't really go wrong anymore. With my trusted Selmer S80D (Vandoren Classic n°3 and BG Super Revelation) it's quite alright, but since this horn is a totally different beastie than my other tenor I thought I'd check out some other mouthpieces. But there are other threads for that...:bluewink:
Dear Bruno,
We are then 10 years later and I am curious about your findings regarding the System 54 tenor after all this time.
I am considering buying a System 54 Power bell R-series silver neck. (Vintage gold or pure brass ??). I don't know if this can be compared to your tenor. Like you, I live in Belgium where I only know the shop "DEP Wind Instruments" that sells these saxophones. By the way, this is a reliable address. (Still related to the well-known Belgian instrument builders "Gebroeders DE Prins. Antwerp) Where did you find yours?
Are you still satisfied with your System 54. I am a novice player who is ready for a good but not too expensive instrument and hope the system 54 is a good choice to start. I now play on an old Schenkelaars that I want to retire.
Greetings
Marc

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I am a novice player who is ready for a good but not too expensive instrument and hope the system 54 is a good choice to start.
I'd say it is. I found them to be surprisingly very similar to a Cannonball when I compared them together.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts