Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying a Ronnie Cuber style mouthpiece but I was wondering if anyone else has already bought one and can let me know if it’s worth the investment. I currently use a Otto link hard rubber tone edge 6* so I am not sure how much more different the SYOS mpc would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I sent my Tone Edge to Erik Greiffenhagen, looking for the same thing. He added a baffle to the mouthpiece, giving me the edge I was looking for.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
A Tone Edge 6* is a very good bari mouthpiece. It will be hard to improve over that. You could just put a good reed on it and forget about mouthpieces. But if you decide to get one, please let us know how it plays.

·
2,768 Posts
Part of me wants you to get one and tell us how it is.

Another part of me wants to recommend calling up Ron at RPC and talking about your high baffle bari mouthpiece needs. All of Ron's mouthpieces are special, but his bari mouthpieces are out of this world, IMO.

Check out Lauren Sevian on her RPC. She has a killer sound and has taken over Cuber's seat in the Mingus Big Band the last few times I have seen them. Ronnie Cuber is the reason I play the bari, but Lauren Sevian's playing in that band totally delivered.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Part of me wants you to get one and tell us how it is.

Another part of me wants to recommend calling up Ron at RPC and talking about your high baffle bari mouthpiece needs. All of Ron's mouthpieces are special, but his bari mouthpieces are out of this world, IMO.

Check out Lauren Sevian on her RPC. She has a killer sound and has taken over Cuber's seat in the Mingus Big Band the last few times I have seen them. Ronnie Cuber is the reason I play the bari, but Lauren Sevian's playing in that band totally delivered.
Is she playing a high-baffle RPC?

·
1,243 Posts

·
2,768 Posts
Well, we play the same mouthpiece and ligature. Can't figure out why I don't sound like her, though. Must be the reeds.

·
1,254 Posts
I am playing a Francois Louis Mouthpiece which is what Cuber is playing. His is metal and was made, from my understanding, by Louis himself. Mine is a 144 tip opening and I am using any where from a 2.5 to 4 strength reed depending on my mood and feel. I use all different kinds of reeds, but mainly rely on Vandoren (Blue Box), Rico Select (unfiled), and Brancher Jazz.

This is the best mouthpiece I have ever played in my life. For about the same price as the SYOS, I would suggest you try one of Louis' bari pieces. You might enjoy it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I actually started a quest about 10 years ago. I had a Yani done by Ted Klum and a Lawton done by Adam Niewood at that time. PB made Ronnie's mouthpiece from the 80's- so I started with him. Tragic results that caused me to pay Erik G to fix a ToneEdge with a big baffle. He did a great job but I sold it. I had a few Drake high baffles. I had Erik G put a big baffle in a wood Lebayle... almost there. That was my POC, so I finally got the guts to order a Lamberson DD in wood in .125 - best piece I've ever owned and I can't say enough good things about Fred's work. I sold everything but the Lebayle (backup) and the DD is my #1. If my saga saves any time or money for you, I'm pleased.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts