Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

INTRO:
I play a Cannonbal Big Bell Global series with a Fat Neck. This gives me quite an open tone. But here`s the "problem" I play in a sort of a brass band, and sometimes i`m up against 7 trumpets and 3 trombones.

I`m not completely alone but my fellow sax players cant play really loud, one plays a C* on a Series III and the other a OL STM copy on a Series II. personnally I play a Lebayle 8 metal. But recently I bought a Rico Metalite M9 (from RacketySax)with Legere 2¾, which is kind of light for me but we mostly play the whole evening.

Like I said I allready use Legere reeds. But there are many others and I'm quite interested in the HH carbon Reeds.

so Iwas wondering:

THE QUESTION:
Which Synthetic Reed will Give me that extra punch/umpf without sounding overly bright (Kazoo?). And to play those damn trumpets away:twisted: (trombones isn`t possible i`m afraid..)

So Any Advice on that?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have tried all of the HH reeeds, and they can be played smoothly and soft, but they can also be loud and harsh. I like them best on alto. It takes some time to get accustomed to and I never managed it on tenor. They are brighter and louder as the legeres, esp. the carbon type.

Tenor? What strength? I have a bunch on them in the drawer, because my teacher insists that everything apart from cane is crap (well, he's the teacher...). Most of them have been used shortly but one or two are new. If you are interested, PM me your address details, I'll send you some for testing. If you don't like them, just send them back (also if you like them or just keep them anyway :).

Regards,

Thomas

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I think that playing a synthetic reed on a baffled mpc such as the Metalite will be kazoo city! Try a Hahn or Fibracell on your STM copy.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that playing a synthetic reed on a baffled mpc such as the Metalite will be kazoo city! Try a Hahn or Fibracell on your STM copy.
the STM copy is owned by a collegue, I do have an OL STM 5* but I'm not that fond of it..

However my legere 2¾ is a gold combo with my OL Tone Edge 7*, for soft music (even classical if I want to).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
It will depend on the player, there's no absolute truth about that. I play baffled (i.e. Ponzol M2) mouthpieces with Hahn reeds and I think my sound is warm and thick but with the right amount of punch. Also, the "right" amount of brightness is a veeeeeeeeery subjective point. Probably, the Metalite is brighter than the Ponzol but I don't think it's too brighter than Ponzols.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts