Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
as some of you recommended, I play clark forbes debut mouthpieces on both soprano and bass - clarinet and I am very satisfied with them. Thank you for your good advice!
With reeds I'm not so sure, so I ask again for your kind help:

For some reasons, I'd like to try synthetic reeds. Main reason is, that I play in a multiwoodwind context with sometimes very quick changes and the need to have a consitent reed without thinking too much about it.

On bass, I had good luck with fibracell medium reeds. I only wish, they would speak a little easyer in the upper clarion reg. This region is better with fibracell medium hard, but the overall feel is better with medium.

On soprano, I have a fibracell medium hard, which could play a little easyer, too.

On both, vandoren blue box 2 1/2 are ok., but I'm not so convinced about the sound.

I have heared good things about the legère, so I would be interested in your opinion about them. Which strenght should I try?

What do you think about forestone? Are there other brands you recommend?

I play classic and jazz.

Thank you for your kind advice!

·
Registered
165 Posts
For bass clarinet with a Grabner/Bloom mouthpiece, I use Fibracell for pit work, and Vandoren for classical. I never use tenor or baritone sax reeds.

For soprano clar with a Kanter mouthpiece, I use Legere for pit work, and for classical, Dilutis, Vandoren V12, or Australian Vintage depending upon which brand I'm least mad at at the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,766 Posts
I like Legere 3¼ on bass clarinet with a Fobes Debut mouthpiece. Next time I buy reeds I think I'll go up to 3½. On soprano clarinet I use Legere Quebec 3¼ with a Grabner K13.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
I use the old Légère reeds (#3) on bass clarinet, on a Selmer G mouthpiece. Very good combination for me. Tried some Fibracells the other day and did not like them. Dull sound with a nasty sort of edge. Also tried some Hartmann Fiberreeds. Slightly better, but the Légères sound best for me. (I use them on all instruments)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!

How do the Légère compare to f.e. the vandoren reeds (strenght) or what would be the equivalent to a fibracell medium reed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
I think the Légères are a little harder than Vandoren (Blue Box). Back when I played cane, I used 3.5 Vandorens.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,253 Posts
Légère Signature 3 on a Vandoren 5JB on sop clarinet; Fiberreed tenor sax Classic M on a Vandoren B40 on bass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.