Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have been really pissed off lately from getting bad reeds with vandoren and watching them warp themselves away and i was wanting to try a synthetic reed. I heard the two best ones were the Legere and the Hahn. Which one do you reccomend and why? If i play on size 3 vandorens, which size synthetic is the best? And also, how does the tone compare to normal vandorens? There is this girl bari player at our school who plays on a synthetic and she sounds amazing so this is why i got interested in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My buddy who plays bari uses Fibracell.
He says super consistent but take some getting used to. Hope this helps.

www.ReedsForLess.com has them cheap and I think they are right across from the manufacturer in CA

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I play Fibracells on bari sometimes. I prefer Rico Jazz Selects but I agree, the real cane habit can get expensive fast with bari at $30+ a box when only 2 or 3 of them play. I've played most of the synthetics at one time or another on tenor and liked Fibracells and Hahns the best. I got my Hahns from Tim at Sax Alley but he is not stocking them anymore. The Legere was the darkest sounding tenor synthetic for me by a good margin but that was quite a while ago before they changed the material a little so they maybe different now. My experience on tenor is that the Fibracells are pretty close to Vandorens (V16's) the Hahns always felt a little soft to me.

I'm thinking about trying some Rico Plasticovers for bari. It's rare that I play just bari. I'm almost always playing tenor and doubling on bari and here in Colorado where the humidity level is typically 30% or lower it only takes a couple of tunes for a cane reed to completely dry out. This where the synthetics or Plasticovers have a big advantage.

In the end it never hurts to try something. I'd ask "this girl" if she'll wash one of her synthetic reeds off and let you try it- better yet if you like her sound try her whole setup and see how it works.

Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy who plays bari uses Fibracell.
He says super consistent but take some getting used to. Hope this helps.

www.ReedsForLess.com has them cheap and I think they are right across from the manufacturer in CA
I might buy that Premier reed for bari, but if i play 3s on vandoren reeds, what size should i get of those?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think you should try a few of them. Its different for everyone. Both me and my friend tried different kind of synthetic reeds but we ended up liking different brands. I havent play bari in awhile but i really liked hartmann reed on it b4

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
I have tried most synthetics on baritone, including BARI, BARI*, Legere, Hahn, Hartmann, Fibracell, Fibracell Premier, Plasticover and just recently Forestone from Japan.

I was using Plasticover and still love the sound of a good one, but has got disappointed with the number of good reeds in a box, and then with how short a time they last for me.

Here's what I think of them (and bear in mind that I prefer a bright sound, so RJS and Rico Royal in cane):
  • BARI and BARI* - OK but no subtelty
  • Legere - most cane-like sound but they can be reluctant to "speak" (start a note) at the bottom of the horn
  • Fibracell - pretty good and quite like a bright cane reed
  • Hahn - plays OK but too bright and doesn't have much depth to the sound
  • Hartmann - brighter than I want to play
  • Forestone - really nice and my preferred reed (synthetic or cane) at the moment

I also really like Legere Signature on alto and tenor and am waiting for them to be available on baritone. I contacted Legere about when that would be and they say they are working on it.

Good luck

Rhys

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I'm a natural reed type of guy, but have moved over to Fibracells on baritone permanently.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
fibracell seem the most like a real cane reed to me.(and last a real.real.real long time)..everything else feels like plastic,or a hartmann cardboard....ive had problems with the plastic covering coming off the plasticovers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I've been very pleased with 2½ Legeres using a Berg for jazz/blues gigs. I've got a pit job coming up and I have to sound more restrained — the 2½'s are too soft for my Riffault mpc so I'm going up a few notches.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a natural reed type of guy, but have moved over to Fibracells on baritone permanently.
Ok, i ordered a size 3 fibracell and a 3.5 legere from musicians friend and i cant wait to try one. What size do you use that sounds good?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Be aware a 3.5 Legere bari reed is a seriously stiff reed. In my experience they run significantly harder than Fibracells. But it has been some time since I bought Legere bari reeds, so maybe they've changed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OH CRAP, how do i cancel my order????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, how hard are they???

·
Registered
461 Posts
On the flip side, I've used orange box Ricos on baritone for years — as did my Classical sax teacher in college (who's a HELL of a classical bari player). I don't know that I'd recommend these reeds on alto/tenor, but they seem to get the job done just fine on baritone, without breaking the bank.

I used Bari clear plastic reeds on baritone the summer I worked at Disney in Orlando. But, didn't have much success with them in a more dynamic environment (i.e. indoors, where tone counts — :0

~ Rick

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm very happy with Legeres. I use a 4.5 on my classical set up (Vandoren BL3) and a 2 on my jazz set up (Berg 110/0).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am very pleased with Forestone reeds for baritone. I have two, and much to my delight, they play practically the same. And they play well!

My experience with Fibracell was very different. The first reed was good, the second was rubbish, and the third was barely OK. After that, I gave up, and went back to cane.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts