Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchase a Fox Renard Oboe and want to start getting my Oboe thing started. At this point, tone isn't top priority to I'd like to start with Synthetic Reeds. The cost and durability will allow me to progress without developing a "it's the reed." excuse. Let me know if anyone has used Synthetic reeds?

·
Registered
350 Posts
A lot of learning oboe is learning how to voice, and deal with and use the back pressure. I'm seeing that more and more with my private and college beginner students. When they use store bought reeds and switch to handmade reeds they don't put enough air into the horn, and end up creating a weak sound. I don't think you'd get the needed resistance from the synthetic reed. I'd try starting out with a hard reed, the ones that are store bought are truly not that hard, they just supply you with the back pressure needed to have good air support.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
One word - horrendous. If you want to sound like a kazoo then they'll be fine. But other than that, they're dire. They won't do you any good in the long term as they don't have the resistance or tone as cane reeds.

I don't know if a decent synthetic oboe reed has yet been developed - there are several already doing the rounds which aren't great and there have been many trials and failures but with limited success (if any success at all). For some obscure reason, synthetic oboe reeds just don't work as well as synthetic single reeds made for clarinets and saxes, but one day someone might stumble on a solution.

You're far better off with a well made and well adjusted cane reed - just don't use too hard a reed too early on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
My first thought was "YUK!"

You absolutely need to get used to the "it's the reed" thing. That's part of being an oboe player--learning how to play the reed. The reed really is the instrument. If you get used to a synthetic reed, when you decide to go to a real reed you're going to have to learn the instrument all over again.

And you in fact do want to be developing your concept of tone from the start. As you progress, your achievements will be that much more satisfying, because you'll start to hear a real oboe tone--as opposed to a elementary-school synthetic reed tone.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i use a synthetic oboe reed on many of my exotic double reed far eastern instruments....gets that nasal abrasive edge i want!!! NOT what you need for oboe!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I have heard you have to make your own oboe reed if you want a good one and it takes hours. Why can't they train people in poor countries to make decent oboe reeds?

·
3,112 Posts
I have heard you have to make your own oboe reed if you want a good one and it takes hours. Why can't they train people in poor countries to make decent oboe reeds?
I take it you're in favour of exploitation, sweatshops and child labour going by that.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I take it you're in favour of exploitation, sweatshops and child labour going by that.
I am definitely not in favor of child labor and I meant at a fair price. How dare you accuse me of that! You don't know me and your assumption about me is way out of line. I do not appreciate your snide comment.

Of course the cost of living is cheaper in other places so they can earn good money. I am in favor of free trade. For some odd reason, we want other countries to buy from us but we think buying from other countries is evil. Spread the wealth man. I can't think of anything I have bought from the UK (besides music) and after reading your rude post to me, I don't think I ever will!

My saxophone is a Selmer made in Taiwan. Do you have a problem with that????

·
3,112 Posts
Oh lighten up for fvck's sake! I'm sure the UK economy won't suffer as a result of your actions. You're the one who made a generalising and patronising remark, so expect some kind of backlash.

And how about you naming the 'poor countries' you have in mind while you're at it.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
I bought a synthetic oboe reed once.
Brought it home, stuck it into my REIC, gave it a blow, took it out, and never used it again.
It was the absolute WORST sounding thing EVER. 'Stepping on a Duck' would be a major understatement.
I'd rather use el'cheapo RICO oboe reeds than that over priced piece of garbage.

If you want to try a decent factory made reed, my daughter really likes the quality and consistancy of Lesher reeds.
She says these play the best for her, and require the least amount of 'personal tweaking'.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I was reading an article on legere attempting to make double reeds.

They have so far found it 'difficult' and 'more complicated' than they expected. I take that to mean it is not going all that well.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...please send yur synthetis oboe reeds to me!!! ill trade for fibracell sax reeds!!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The oboe I purchased had a Gower reed - (Being cheap - I soaked it) It works pretty good. I'm almost done with Breeze Easy Book 1. Good Times. I just purchased some Jones (also cheap). Once I'm done with BK 2 - then I'll consider pricier reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I have heard you have to make your own oboe reed if you want a good one and it takes hours.
It's true, you can get a wonderful sound and feel from making your own reeds. But if you don't have the time or desire to make your own, you can also get a wonderful sound and feel from reeds you buy from a professional oboe reed maker. A good place to find some of those people is at reedreviews.net.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts